Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the heck of it...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I didn’t work on the TDisco but I did get a few parts. Firstly, I purchased several 45* and 90* bends and maybe 20 feet of tubing. I don’t think I will be using all of the tubing as well as the 90* angles, less stress angles equals more flow. I went with 2” tubing just because the compressor outlet is 2 inches and also I didn’t want to go from a 2 inch outlet to a 3inch back to a 2.5inch section. I didn’t want to mess with the tubing size and have a ln air velocity issue. I also got a couple rubber couplers just in case. That’s all guys for today’s update.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:36 PM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Very interesting thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Where will you put the inner cooler?

The catch can, I have seen worse but, I would suggest a thicker plastic bottle or aluminum

Old 10-14-2018, 02:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Thank you guys for the replies. The catch can location would be mounted close to where the SAI pump would go. I wanted to have a spray can with the top cut off as a catch can but I also wanted the catch can oil level to be visible. I might go with a Gatorade since it is a thicker plastic.
Nice thought about an intercooler, but I have mixed feelings. Should I run one, yes, do I have to run an intercooler no. I could run low boost without one and I may be fine. I will have a intake temp sensor to monitor, if I feel like the temps are excessive I could run an alcohol/water injection kit. I don’t think I would be heat soaking the air through the pvc as it is an insulator to a point. The l turbo charger will also be receiving cooler air since it isn’t under the hood as well.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Update

sorry for delays guys, I have been busy at work with a clients vehicle the past few days. BUT, I did get something done yesterday.
So as it turns out, I don’t like how the routing went but it is ok for now. I got the cold side installed, no intercooler or maf sensor(I do want the maf installed). 3-45* bends, 3- couplers (2-2in and 1 reducer 3in to 2in) and maybe 15 feet of 2inch pvc. I have it all plumbed now but I want the maf sensor. The disco does spool the turbo and sounds decent. Pics for reference.
I did end up cutting a brake line not where you might expect accidentally. I was clearly my fault I was also being cautious but I ended up cutting it. Bummer. No worries. Let’s see if I can get anything done tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 04:58 PM
Rock Crawling

This is the Turbo Disco getting some Turbo Treatment. Not too good looking.

Last edited by Nosugar0carbs; 10-17-2018 at 05:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 06:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Are you concerned about turbo lag with it being so far from the intake? I know FMIC vs TMIC on Subarus always had a bit of a lag.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:51 PM
Rock Crawling

No concern really. I don’t have an intercooler nor does this vehicles budget. The turbo is from a 1.3L rotary engine, it is moderately sized. If there is lag I’ll use it as a precautionary measure. I still have more to do before actually boosting the engine. I have the wastgate pinned open so I don’t damage anything yet, hopefully.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Nosugar0carbs
No concern really. I don’t have an intercooler nor does this vehicles budget. The turbo is from a 1.3L rotary engine, it is moderately sized. If there is lag I’ll use it as a precautionary measure. I still have more to do before actually boosting the engine. I have the wastgate pinned open so I don’t damage anything yet, hopefully.
Please make sure you have budget for a BOV

Old 10-17-2018, 07:53 PM
Rock Crawling

I have almost everything for the kit from the Rx7 build. The two things I do need are a wideband sensor and a small oil pump for the turbo. I have thought about a fuel pump as the oil pump for the turbo and run a very light weight oil for less strain? I don’t know. Let’s see...

Quick Reply: For the heck of it...