Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the heck of it...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default For the heck of it...

So I’m sure you guys are aware of the infamous discovery engine issues. I have here a few discos to tamper with and a few spare parts from other projects as well. This is by no means a guide or a “how to” thread, just a grassroots project. Here we go.

I have a beat up 99 discovery, very beat up body but runs and drives. I have a turbo charger and a few bits from an Rx7 turbo2 that I sold. I plan to as cheaply as possible just install the turbo and just send it. I know I need fueling so I plan to tackle that with an additional injector hopefully. So I removed the exhaust from the 2 bolt resonator none broke luckily, the 3 bolt section not so lucky but I didn’t need it. Cut the 2 bolt and the 3 bolt flange, I drilled the turbo flange to fit the 3 bolt flange. Welded the sections together and bolted the turbo to the discovery. More will come tomorrow if possible. Just a quick edit: don’t mind the welds.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

If I'im not mistaken, you have brake lines on the driver side frame . I'd slap some heat reflector shielding there.

6 minutes, the trans decides to exit stage right That's my guess. Should make for a fun time. Keep us updated!!!

Old 10-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You have officially peaked my interest in this project. Please update regularly. How are you going to pipe the charged air back under the hood and to the top?

Old 10-11-2018, 09:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Sorry guys. No update today, it was a very busy day. I thought about the cold side of the turbo, for the cheap, I’m just going to get pvc tubing, and with as little bend as possible make its way upwards. I have 2 options, either run the maf inline with the pvc, or extend the maf sensor on the inlet side of the turbo. Silicone/rubber couplers and pvc tube with the blow off valve

Old 10-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dgi 07
If I'im not mistaken, you have brake lines on the driver side frame . I'd slap some heat reflector shielding there.

6 minutes, the trans decides to exit stage right That's my guess. Should make for a fun time. Keep us updated!!!
There is a shield in place already where the resonator would sit. The exhaust side I could aim it downwards more for less direct heat, or blanket the hot side.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling

I can’t say I have an update, but I did a little work and some pics for the site.
Took down the turbo and piping to clock the turbo for the oil drain to be proper. I have also fabricated a catch can. Don’t make fun of it, I need a bigger bottle though and thicker as well. For the catch can route, I’ll run longer hose from the valve covers to the catch can, and run a hose from port to port on the intake manifold basically cancelling themselves.
I was also testing to get rid of the IACV (idle air control valve) and I have got pretty good results tampering with it. I found it can be deleted and run the Rover by adjusting the throttle plate, so that give me a pretty decent place to have the blow off valve. That was all the time I had. I may go to homedepot to pick up the charge pipes (pvc tube) and the couplers as well.

Last edited by Nosugar0carbs; 10-12-2018 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Grammer and spelling
Old 10-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Nosugar0carbs
I can’t say I have an update, but I did a little work and some pics for the site.
Took down the turbo and piping to clock the turbo for the oil drain to be proper. I have also fabricated a catch can. Don’t make fun of it, I need a bigger bottle though and thicker as well. For the catch can route, I wan on longer hose from the valve covers to the bottle, and run a hose from port to port on the intake manifold basically cancelling themselves.
I was also testing to get rid of the IACV (idle air control valve) and I have got pretty good results tampering with it. I found it can be deleted and run the Rover by adjusting the throttle plate, so that give me a pretty decent place to have the blow off valve. That was all the time I had. I may go to homedepot to pick up the charge pipes (pvc tube) and the couplers as well.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

I did a TON of research on doing a turbo setup on my Disco a few years ago. The link to the thread is found under the link in my signature. I'm grabbing the link now to post directly.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-4-6-v8-74619/

Ok, here's the link. Lots of info. Still check out the write ups link, there may be some info in another thread I've got linked there that could also help like the injector upgrade.

You're gonna probably want to upgrade your cooling, too. There's a write up for that in which I installed a much better radiator.

Best of luck. I look forward to seeing where this goes since I bailed on the idea.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:03 AM
Rock Crawling

I have some ideas on cooling modifications. Firstly, I will start off with getting colder spark plugs, maybe 1 or 2 steps colder, another is a softer spring thermostat with engine ice and water wetters. I might reinstall the heater core with auxiliary e-fans just to help, as well as heat shielding the exhaust and maybe also decat the exhaust. The turbo charger cooling and lubrication will be had with remote reserviours with pumps. I do look forwards to purchasing a thicker radiator but man are they expensive and would make a big cut on the budget turbo disco. Any other cost effective cooling measures? She does already have the dual oil coolers up front.

Quick Reply: For the heck of it...