Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from Richland, WA (USA)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 10:39 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hello from Richland, WA (USA)

Hello all!

I have been doing a lot of reading here. I have run the gamut from owning a 1955 Chevy 210 wagon to my 2008 Super Duty F350 TD. One day my 4yr old was watching her youtube gold panning videos when she wandered onto a video of three guys working a claim in Australia. She got all excited when these guys showed some of the nuggets they had found. In the video, I saw an LC70 Toyota along with what appeared to be a Disco II. The guys were talking and one of them said he would jump into his Sheila and run back to camp. Well my daughter wanted a Sheila, and as luck would have it, it was the Disco II. I convinced the wife that it was a feasible purchase (she knew I had put my want on the back burner) as my daughter was doing the hard sell.

In my reading of the forums, many of you had said not to jump on the first one you saw. Boy were you guys right! I went through three of them at around $3k before a CL ad popped up for one in Centralia, WA. We messaged back and forth for a bit before the lady said come and get it now for more than half off asking! I couldn't resist and the wife and I took off on a 4.5-hour road trip across White Pass. After seeing it and test driving it, we settled on the negotiations. She was a 2002 Disco II SD. She needed some work done after a recent deer strike had rendered the passenger side damaged. The fender, turn signal, headlight and front bumper lay victim to the hit. Along with that, the owner had haphazardly replaced the steering wheel and airbag. The ignition was sketchy and my biggest fear for the drive home. We settled on $700 less than her bottom line asking price when I showed her that we were serious about buying. I highlighted all the repairs and showed her the prices to replace the parts. After 12 $100 bills passed into her hand, and the titled signed, we were off.

Pulling into the driveway was a sigh of relief as I had just completed a 5-hour road trip flawlessly in a rig that I had no idea its maintenance history.

I have since replaced the ignition and steering wheel. I purchased another rig (2000 Disco II runner for $250) for parts. It has paid for itself as I have sold the Cats to a recycler for $200. I took the headlights, fender and wiring harness for both turn signals and put them onto the '02 along with the fender, rear bumper, and interior bits and pieces. My daughter named her Disco "Sheila" and it has stuck. Sheila currently has her "Babe" sitting next to her as I figure out what else I will pull off of it before sending it away to scrap.

Enjoying it as I go.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 12-28-2019, 12:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome from another Washingtonian!

Old 02-17-2020, 12:29 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stripped

2002 on the right 2000 on the left. '00 is the parts rig turning trailer.

Stripping

Stripping

Anyone need a 09/99 SAI California 4.0

Stripped

Spent this weekend stripping my '00 Disco (Parts Rig) to make it more feasible to maneuver around in. I have an idea to use it and make an overland trailer out of it. Have lots of spare parts to go through. I did try to be gentle in removing the parts and pieces. I checked to see if the "Nipple" was present on the center diff and it was, so this will be going in the "keep" pile.