Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on this...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009 | 04:07 PM
Camel Trophy

Keep my fingers crossed for you. Always sucks when a new owner gets a bad one. Good for you for keeping up with her. Once the head gaskets are done, you will really enjoy the truck!

Old 05-20-2009 | 04:12 PM
TReK

$1000 - $1500 is the right range for head gasket replacement. $2700 is way out in left field. Once you have the head gaskets fixed you'll be back to loving Irma.

Old 05-20-2009 | 04:42 PM
|
Mudding

I love my Irma! The good part of all this, I learned to drive a manual transmission in the interim. The bad part...I'm not cut out to drive a manual transmission! I stall every chance I get because I live in the mountains. Argh.

I'm almost hoping it is head gaskets, because if it isn't, it will be eventually I'm sure. One thing that gave me hope was that the mechanic flat out said "it might not be head gaskets, it could be a valley gasket" which made me think he knew a little about something Land Rover related. Most other mechanics refused to even say "Land Rover" just "uh no, I don't work on those."
Boo.

Old 05-20-2009 | 05:29 PM
TReK

My mom taught me how to drive a manual transmission a long time ago by stopping on a steep hill and saying it was my turn to drive. After that I can get a vehicle started anywhere, including a 80,000 pound tractor-trailer on a really steep hill that other guys couldn't.

Good news is if it's not your head gasket then you could have another 50k miles until they're needing to be replaced. You should be able to save some money in the time it takes you to drive 50k. If it is the head gaskets then they'll be done and you won't have to worry about them again as long as you keep up on changing the coolant.

Old 05-20-2009 | 05:55 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by AK Rover
My mom taught me how to drive a manual transmission a long time ago by stopping on a steep hill and saying it was my turn to drive. After that I can get a vehicle started anywhere, including a 80,000 pound tractor-trailer on a really steep hill that other guys couldn't.

Good news is if it's not your head gasket then you could have another 50k miles until they're needing to be replaced. You should be able to save some money in the time it takes you to drive 50k. If it is the head gaskets then they'll be done and you won't have to worry about them again as long as you keep up on changing the coolant.
I had a car behind me at this HORRIBLE (it was never horrible with Irma) stop sign on an incline. They pulled up really close and I KNEW I was going to roll back. I motioned for them to back up...but they didn't. So I went for it. Did not hit them, but came so far back as to have them honk at me and gesture rudely.

Sigh. I warned them!

Old 05-20-2009 | 07:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AnnelieseMae
I had a car behind me at this HORRIBLE (it was never horrible with Irma) stop sign on an incline. They pulled up really close and I KNEW I was going to roll back. I motioned for them to back up...but they didn't. So I went for it. Did not hit them, but came so far back as to have them honk at me and gesture rudely.

Sigh. I warned them!
When stopped on a hill when driving a manual transmission car set the parking brake.
When it is time to go start to release the clutch in 1st gear and then release the parking brake.
So stop, left foot on the clutch pedal, right foot on the brake, set the parking brake, right foot on gas pedal left foot on clutch, let the clutch out with left foor and give it gas with right foot and release parking brake with your hand, you will not roll backwards.
It takes practice, but once you figure it out youi will be as good as a piece of pie from the Traverse City Pie Company.

Old 05-28-2009 | 10:00 AM
|
Mudding

Got the call back from the shop. It's my intake manifold. I had him do some other things (i.e. the serpentine belt was about to go) so my bill will be about $1300. Should be ready tomorrow (here's hoping!).

Old 05-28-2009 | 10:11 AM
Camel Trophy

Have them throw some Magnacor wires on while they have the IM off...

Old 05-28-2009 | 11:07 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Have them throw some Magnacor wires on while they have the IM off...

I already replaced the spark plugs (Bosch Platinum) and wires (Magnacor). I had two misfires several months ago and managed to get them changed already (hands are still sore...haha).

Old 05-28-2009 | 05:25 PM
TReK

Glad to hear Irma's going to be back on the road soon. When I get time I'll be down there so you can show me some of those old mining roads around there.