Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Big white smoke!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Parts (you are being optimistic you will come across worn out parts along the way or break a few hoses also you need new head bolts):

Thermostat: $20
Headgasket Kit: $160
Cylinder head bolts: $80
Serpentine belt: $32
Hose to heater: $20
Hose from expansion tank: $20

Machinist: $75 (this is critical too don't skip this step)

Tools (I had to buy some for the job):

Metric Impact Socket set (you will break regular sockets)
Wobble extension set (you need this)
Torque wrench
Impact extension set
8mm 12 pointed socket
large breaker bar
long jointed ratchet

Fluids:

6 quarts cheap oil for a flush then 6 quarts good stuff
1 gallon coolant
2 quarts power steering fluid

Total for me was around $600 but like I said I bought some tools that made the job easier.
Well I couldnt find a 8mm Impact socket today what other sizes will I need I dont want to buy a whole set?

Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Well I couldnt find a 8mm Impact socket today what other sizes will I need I dont want to buy a whole set?
Hey will I have to take off the timing cover looks like the timing cover is screwed on to the head?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Mudding

Idaho, if you are talking about the timing chain cover/oil pump, it's attached to the front end of the block. Actually, three of the bolts also secure the bottom part of the water pump. The hexheads are size 12 mm and there is no need for impact wrench to remove them. You will have to remove the front (I believe 4 ea) bolts from the oil pan. Hope this helps.

Last edited by StevenDiscoII; 08-11-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by IDAHODISCO
Hey will I have to take off the timing cover looks like the timing cover is screwed on to the head?
But do I need to take off the timing chain cover?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Mudding

No, not to remove the heads.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok guys I know you wont like this question BUT I am moving out of my apt to a house with a garage in 7 days and I realy want to wait but I dont want to spend $$ getting the disco towed to the new house!!
So can I just replace the head gasket on the driver side AKA the bad one and then finish the job in my new garage???
HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Old 08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would just wait until you move and do them both at once. You don't want to make all that extra work for yourself believe me.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by lipadj46
I would just wait until you move and do them both at once. You don't want to make all that extra work for yourself believe me.
Well I dont want to over heat or damage the eng and my new house is 23 miles away!
What would the extra work be? Sorry never did one before.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IDAHODISCO
Well I dont want to over heat or damage the eng and my new house is 23 miles away!
What would the extra work be? Sorry never did one before.
You would have to replace all those nice gaskets you just installed like the upper intake manifold and valley pan gasket not to mention you would have to reinstall your wires. Plus you would have to drain that new coolant you just added and reflush your engine oil. Not to mention the work involved removing all the auxiliary stuff like the serpentine belt, viscous fan, air conditioner, alternator, top engine hose etc. Believe me just be careful as you drive keep the coolant full, if you want buy an ODB-II scanner that reads live data for $80 and keep it hooked up and monitor the exact engine coolant temp. Shoot keep your windows down and the heater blasted.

I know you have not done a head gasket job before but just imagine the entire top half of your engine removed sitting on your garage floor with 70% of the engine compartment components removed too, it is a big job. Head gaskets jobs are a pain in the *** enough believe me don't make it harder and more expensive.

Last edited by lipadj46; 08-11-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Angry

Got it I will just take it slow and pray I dont get every red light on the way!
Well my new garage will get broke in nicely and I guess so will I....DAMN
In two weeks I have to put in sprinklers,grass on a .386 of acre, fix my disco, unload my apt + large storage to my house and work full time! This is going to take a lot of Ketel One hehe!
Thanks guys

I guess the on the other hand I could have no job be stuck in this apt and drive a Honda! I have a great life : )

Quick Reply: HELP!! Big white smoke!!