Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! COOLANT IN OIL

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! COOLANT IN OIL

Have a 2001 disco, have been adding antifreeze about once a week, for last 3 weeks,looking for an obvious leak (but not noticing billowing smoke..so I thought is was not a head gasket. This problem started on one of the record cold days in Chicago (-3). My son was driving the car and said the heat was blowing cold, but the temp gauge was not pegged hot. That day, he drove the car(about10 miles) came home..I added coolant and all was good.I just checked car this morning the oil and found all my anti-freeze.

I've seen the posts on this problem that its usually a head gasket. How do I test? Pressure test? pull plugs? The car has not been driven much and here in IL it has not been over 30 degrees since this problem started, soI don't recall it has ever overheated, Usually it just blows cold air instead of hot with the heat on.I have seen that D1's had acooling line in the radiator that could rupture...do d2's?Disco Mike if your out there you seen to have encountered this a few times...thoughts?

Help...I am somewhat well versed at mechanical (working on old cars, have actually changed head gasket but is was an old carburated 1970 mustang), I have never tackled a head gasket on a rover.If a sleeve is crackedis it obvious when Ichange the head gasket. Any detailed instructions out there on changing head gaskets? Suggestions and orrecommendations fora good repair shop in IL Northwest suburbs, near Ohare airport. Or someone to do a sidejob? What should this cost to repair?

can someone send the instuction doc to me? or a link to it.

Thanks, Phil

Old 01-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: Help! COOLANT IN OIL

Just saw the recent headgasket thread, suggesting bolt and idler pulley replacements.. anyone have a like that shows this headgasket replacement process? I am considering doing it to save the $1200...cost I've seen posted here.

Thanks again,

Phil

Old 01-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Doing head gaskets on a Rover is no different than any other pushrod V8.
And yes, you need to replace your headgaskets, no doubt about it.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:36 PM
3rd Gear

Regarding coolantgetting into oil, I faced this problem on my 01 disco.Only 4 months piror, I had head gaskets repaired. Afterhaving a certified range rover mechanic tear the engine apart, it was determined that the issue was a cacked front engine cover gasket.After 20+ hours of labor looking for the leak, you could imagine the resulting bill.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Mudding

Its not hard to do. No different than my chevy. You can handle it. Buy new head bolts and check your torque settings. I use a cart and lay parts out in order and write myself little notes on anything I may forget after 20 beers. You can do it.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

How mechanical are you, have you ever torn into a small block GM, that is what you have, a small block Buick.
Buy the complete upper head gasket set from Atlantic British, along with a new set of head bolts, a t/stat and a set of Magnacor plug wires.
By the time you get all your parts and fluids, you will be at around $375 in parts.
Mike

Old 01-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Overlanding

Mike,
Thanks for the note, I do believe I have the skills ..being a car guy, its just all the stuff to remove before the heads that worry me, stuck exhaust bolts..etc. If it's like a buick, I'm good,I recently changed an intake and injectors, on a grand national..not headsbut close.I did have the Chilton manual, and very clear step by step instructions to guide me. Any idea where I find those head gasket instructions for this disco II, I checked auto zone and pep boys, they don't sell the book. Is it posted anywhere on the web where I can download it? Or can you point me to it?

Funny thing about timing, I had planed to start working on my fun car, I pulled the axles out and started removing the rearend to attempt a frame notch and mini tub..looks like that will happen after I tackle the disco.
Here is my fun car...I could have those heads off in 30 min

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...500/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNwHtH1uHZU&eurl

Back to the disco... Should I pressure test it before I tear it apart? If I pressure test it how can I tell if its the head gasket? I just drained the oil coolant mix, put some cleanoil in and ran if for about 20 seconds...not long enough to build pressure and leak..I hope.But I wanted to get that water out and off the surfaces. It looked like it was ok when I checked the oil (no coolant), but will know more in the morning.
Any help pointing to the "instructions" would be very helpful.

Thanks toall...Phil