Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a Disc II 04 se7

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help with a Disc II 04 se7

Hey all, I was in the process of buying a 2004 se7 today and when driving off the lot about a mile i noticed a noise when i would decelerate to comming to a stop. It wasnt loud and not quiet. It reminded me of a old manual shift pickup truck sound from way back. It shifts fine not jerking or anything . It would stop when you hit about 3000 RPM's. If you just touched the gas ever so slightly it would stop the noise. It only makes the noise when you take your foot off the accelarator. I returned the truck and took them for a ride to show them. They are going to have it looked at tomorrow and call me. The guy thinks its cluch plates touching but having these trucks for a while i know the trannys are pretty bullet proof. It has never been off road and has 120,000 miles on it. I was thinking transfer case or diff... If anyone has any ideas i would love to here. when driving normal there is no noise, only when you take your foot off the accelerator. The truck is in 98 % condition and i would hate to get my money back as i like the truck.

Thanks all, Chris

Last edited by vandev; 03-17-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

rebuild or replace the front friveshaft with greasable u-joints. I would put $100 on that if it is the original drive shaft.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

thanks.....i was thinking the same thing.......i hope thats it as i love the truck.... i would take it as there is no way to look at it and see it's bad is there?

Thanks again , Chris

Old 03-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Camel Trophy

No.... well, if it has grease fittings, service it and see. If it has no fittings, re-build it to incluse servicable u-joints and centering ball. You can drop the front shaft and lock the t-case and still drive while it is being done. Just replace and unlock.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks allot, i will be printing this thread and taking it to the place i am buying from in the morning..

Thanks again, Chris

Old 03-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Camel Trophy

Happy to help.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default intresting

Well, i have come to find out that the noise i have never heard is common on 2001 thru 2004 disco II's. Its the transfercase berings or something having to do where the front drive shaft connects making the noise. kind of faint if you have the radio off is how i heard it. I talked to a very reliable land rover guru and was told ther also is a clunk when you let off the gas at 60 and then step on the pedal after a few seconds. I actually went and test drove another disco this time a 2003 and low and behold the same sound. I was nervous as my daughters 2000 disco II does not make this sound. Anyone else have this? i was told it is nothing to worry about...

Chris

Old 03-18-2010, 07:04 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by vandev
Well, i have come to find out that the noise i have never heard is common on 2001 thru 2004 disco II's. Its the transfercase berings or something having to do where the front drive shaft connects making the noise. kind of faint if you have the radio off is how i heard it. I talked to a very reliable land rover guru and was told ther also is a clunk when you let off the gas at 60 and then step on the pedal after a few seconds. I actually went and test drove another disco this time a 2003 and low and behold the same sound. I was nervous as my daughters 2000 disco II does not make this sound. Anyone else have this? i was told it is nothing to worry about...

Chris
I know the "clunk" is normal when letting off the gas or pressing it. So no worries about that.
As for the other sound... i've never heard of that. But if a reliable land rover person said it was normal, I guess you can trust their word.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
I know the "clunk" is normal when letting off the gas or pressing it. So no worries about that.
As for the other sound... i've never heard of that. But if a reliable land rover person said it was normal, I guess you can trust their word.

Its like the sound of riding in first gear and then taking your foot of the gas but the sound is a bit softer and not as loud... it sound like plates rubbing togather but very soft. even if you put it in neutral while it is making the noise it does not go away or touch the gas and it goes away. that how i knew it was not comming from the transmission. It's really annoying...like a whining...uggg..

Last edited by vandev; 03-18-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has the same noise -when I let off the gas ever so slightly while cruising down the highway happens around 50 to 75 mph. I have seen several other people on various forums comment on their trucks doing the same thing and the answer they all seemed to have was the same one that you got from your guru. I live with it , but it is annoying.

-aaron se7 2003
newly rebuilt and serviceable driveshaft :-)

Quick Reply: Help with a Disc II 04 se7