Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help.....going to buy disco SE7

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:16 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help.....going to buy disco SE7

New guy here looking for some pre purchase help. I'm looking to purchase a 2001 and up SE7 with no more than 45k miles.Are there an MY's better than others? I've heard of major electrical gremlin problems with Discos but are you guys seeing anything else major? Also the local LR dealer said the sticker price on a 2002 was non-negotiable.....???

Basically I would like any info you experts could give me in purchasing one....what to look for etc....
Anyone have any experience with LR Certified Warranty? I'm planning on purchasing from a LR dealer for the warranty. Is it worth it?

Those of you with over 70k miles are you seeing any problems?
Thanks.

Chris

Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Help.....going to buy disco SE7

well the 2002 was when the first facelight models came out, with some new fancy stuff so there was bound to be a few issues, i cant understand how the sticer price is non negotiable but i suspect hes trying to get one over on you. ask the dealer to look through the service records to see what sort of works its had done on it to see what type of stuff you can expect

Old 06-29-2007, 09:13 AM
Drifting

i have an 04 disco se7, i also bought the warranty expensive but i think worth it. any problem i have had they fixed no questions asked and free of charge. i have had it for about 8 months and have had the rear step replaced as well as both of the front passenger windows fixed because they were sticking badly. now they work fine. as far as the price they did negotiate with me but not much, but they did throw in a brush guard with a lamp kit all original land rover equipment, so try to negotiate as much as possible. dont know if this helps but its what i got.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Three Wheeling

'03 gave the new grill and headlights with influence from the Range Rover. However '03 does not have locking diff's. '04 is purported to be the best year (out of the range you're discussing). If you're going to certified (which is the way to go) expect to pay a little bit more but know that it'll pay for itself. I would recommend a certified '04. All of these trucks came with a 4 year 50K warranty, so by purchasing an '04 with lower miles you're under orignal factory warranty (therefore no deductible when you bring it in for repair), once you are out of orignal warranty the CPO Warranty kicks in which gives you the same coverage as the original factory warranty buyt there is a $100 deductible per VISIT (not per issue). Drive as many as you can because thye all feel different, learns the pros and cons of each and figure out exactly what options you want (ACE, SLS, etc).
I have an '03 SE7 I bought CPO'd about 2-3 months ago and love it. I had good luck getting some issuesfixed after I took delivery (little things popped up, but ended up getting new rear hubs, brakes, new headlamp etc all covered no cost to me). Be sure you get the CPO report and have them tell you what the tolerances for CPO acceptance are (e.g. brake pad wear not more 50%).
Good Luck, happy hunting and be sure to shop around, and push the negotiations, worst copmes to worst you walk out and leave the truck, if no one else picks up, they'll call you. They're on a 60 day tunr time per vehicle (at least at my dealer), if they haven't sold it in 60, it goes back to auction and they likely loose money and it looks bad to the regional sales office.

Good Luck!

Old 06-29-2007, 12:46 PM
4th Gear

Thanks guys. So basically a CPO'd is exactly the same as a new factory warranty? Except for paying a deductible correct? I've heard numerous stories of small things going wrong and don't want to be nickled and dimed to get them fixed. Have any of you guys seen bigger problems? I've heard of head gasket problems on these engines as well. Also, what type of gas mileage are you guys seeing? I plan on using it for work.....50 mile roundtrip on highway. Thanks again.

Chris

Old 06-29-2007, 04:58 PM
4th Gear

Ok, found a black 2004 SE loaded with 44,500 miles. Leather, 6disc cd etc, dual power seats, etc....Its CPO'd and the LR dealer is asking 24,900. Car drives great but has two door dings on the passenger side. Interior is in great shape as well. Its been serviced at the same dealership that is selling it. Price too high? What do you guys think?

Old 06-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Mudding

If you were so inclined, I could probably get you a 2003 SD with 24k for about $20k. Silver. Primo. NEVER off road. In Prescott, AZ. Always dealer serviced. Lady owned. Drives like grammy. Her rig looks new as day one. The SD doesn't have dual sunroofs and a couple other bells, but for 24,000 miles...who cares! Yes, even the sunroofs have a history of failure. Buying from a private seller with all records and personal history of the truck is worth $5000 bucks to me. When you buy these rigs you either pay for the first hand history (service records) or you better discount for the lack of history. I'm not convince the dealers really help these trucks along once they get them. My bud bought his '02 from a LR dealer and it was a dissaster.

But back to your original question, yes these vehicles are not known for any sort of reliability and no, the repairs are not "nickel and dime" kind of affairs. The repairs are frequent and expensive and the gas mileage never tops an average of 16mpg for most. It can easily dip to 12-13 mpg if you do much town or off road driving.

That said, they are great rigs. I love mine.

By the way, don't get duped by "all leather, 6 disc....etc." They all have nearly the same bells and whistles on the inside. The big differences are things like locking diff or not.