Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Headlight Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help with Headlight Troubleshooting

I've had my 2003 Discovery II SE7 since this August. It's been rough -since then I've had a transfer case leak repaired, fixed the windshield wiper switch, coolant reservoir replaced, and the list goes on.

The last night I found my left headlight wasn't working. What's up with these Rovers?

Can I get some help with regards to headlight troubleshooting? Before I typed this post, I made sure I did some homework and went through the Rave owners manual.

Ok now I know there are fuses under the steering wheel for the headlights - Fuse 9 and 10 are for normal beam LH (left hand) and RH (right hand), fuse 5 is high beam LH and fuse 22 is high beam RH.

Then starting on page 218 the manual starts talking about bulb replacement, which appears to be more involved than replacing fuses.

So what is the correct order/sequence for headlight troubleshooting? Do you check fuses first, then bulbs if the fuses are OK? I have NOT had a car where the headlamps went out on me - are these Rovers notorious for headlights going out? I googled and found a lot of articles regarding this which also talked about headlamp relays, replacing bulbs with HID kits, etc.

So if it's the bulb, would this be a good time to look into upgrading headlights?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Al
'03 D2 SE7

Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I use silverstar H7's in my 03. They are nice and bright.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by aguison
I've had my 2003 Discovery II SE7 since this August. It's been rough -since then I've had a transfer case leak repaired, fixed the windshield wiper switch, coolant reservoir replaced, and the list goes on.

The last night I found my left headlight wasn't working. What's up with these Rovers?

Can I get some help with regards to headlight troubleshooting? Before I typed this post, I made sure I did some homework and went through the Rave owners manual.

Ok now I know there are fuses under the steering wheel for the headlights - Fuse 9 and 10 are for normal beam LH (left hand) and RH (right hand), fuse 5 is high beam LH and fuse 22 is high beam RH.

Then starting on page 218 the manual starts talking about bulb replacement, which appears to be more involved than replacing fuses.

So what is the correct order/sequence for headlight troubleshooting? Do you check fuses first, then bulbs if the fuses are OK? I have NOT had a car where the headlamps went out on me - are these Rovers notorious for headlights going out? I googled and found a lot of articles regarding this which also talked about headlamp relays, replacing bulbs with HID kits, etc.

So if it's the bulb, would this be a good time to look into upgrading headlights?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Al
'03 D2 SE7
Are both headlamps out? You just mentioned one was out. Its not gonna be a fuse or relay. Dont think so hard. Your bulb is bad. Buy a new one.

The truck is ~9 years old you're going to experience problems from time to time. Thats the fun part

Old 11-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
Are both headlamps out? You just mentioned one was out. Its not gonna be a fuse or relay. Dont think so hard. Your bulb is bad. Buy a new one.

The truck is ~9 years old you're going to experience problems from time to time. Thats the fun part
Only the LEFT headlamp is out. If it's the bulb, is there an advantage to upgrade to the Silverstar H7 like Aaron suggests or stick with the stock bulb?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I only went with the silverstars because they are brighter. Yes they cost a lot more but I like to see more road at night. I go through a set a year. I think I pay $40 for a set and to me its well worth it. Bulbs go out. My last set both went out at the same time. My low beams are as bright as my high beams. I have learned with my 03 that sometimes I over think problems. You checked everything but the bulb. They are really easy to change. I think I have an extra silverstar so if you want to compare I will send it to you free of charge. I always replace mine in pairs. If you put the silverstar in the burnt out side and leave the oem in the other you will be amazed. I did it and was sold.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:18 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The brighter bulbs are nice. The only problem is they don't last all but a year at best.

I just noticed that the fog light on at least the 03-04 appear to be an H7 bulb as well. If your ever in needed of on you can snag it from the fog and place in the headlamp.