Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Interpreting Codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:18 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help Interpreting Codes

While I have spent the last couple days reinventing the wheel trying to wire my lights, I decided to go ahead and pull the CEL codes. That is one light I really don't want to see anymore.

These are the codes I pulled:

P0451 - Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Signal Error Fault
P1193 - Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Open Downstream
P1447 - Evap System Purge Valve Open or Short Circuit Fault
P0158 - Oxygen Sensor High Voltage *Codes* B D

Looking at these I'm guessing I'm having 2 separate issues. Obviously at least one O2 sensor is bad (passenger side, after cat?) As soon as I have money again I am going to replace the O2s (they fell down the priority list when I got the money for my lift).

The other 2 codes, P0451 and P1447, I have no idea where to start with those.

I figured I'd post on here and get some ideas before I call Disco Mike and bug him again.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the 1447 could be a bad purge valve. Have you had trouble filling up your tank lately. When I had a bad purge valve I had to use the slowest setting at the pump and it would still shut off a few times before it was full. Hopefully someone else can help further.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You def need new O2's.
And I have to agree with malmberg of the purge valve.
Here is a web site that i found recently.
www.oxygensensors.com
This is where I am going to get mine from.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:09 AM
TReK

Only problem I have had filling the tank is paying for it. From what malmberg described and the fact I haven't had the same experience leads me to believe that the purge valve problem is electrical, not physically stuck open or closed.

Going to order 2 new O2s for after the cats and replace the pre-cats later on. Checked out my cats after talking to Disco Mike and they are still good, no rattling, so the O2s have to be the problem.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Team Owner

Where are you ordering your O2's from?
How much are they?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Atlantic British has a sale on them thru the end of the month, Rover Connection has a pretty good price on 02's also.
AK, how do you like our additional snow again today???

Old 03-30-2009, 02:48 PM
TReK

By the time I got out of bed and got going the snow was just about over. Been out running around trying to find a part for Dad's Mercedes and the roads are dry already. Disappointed I didn't get to play a little more but sleep was a good thing.

I'll have to see what kind of money I can scrape together. Hopefully I can get enough to get the O2s while AB has them cheaper. I'll check out Rover Connection also.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Team Owner

Did you check out the link I included?
$88 per O2.
Alot better than the $109 AB wants right now, and a hell of alot better than the $148 AutoZone wants.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:25 PM
TReK

Yes I did check it out. I may go with those. Have some time to make a decision since I have no spare money at the moment.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:12 PM
TReK

I figured I would revive an old thread since I have another question on the same topic. After my much more difficult than necessary changing of the 2 rear O2 sensors, I am no longer getting O2 codes. A small victory. I am still getting the 1447, Evap purge valve open or short just don't have money to fix it. I'm not having any problems because of it that I'm aware of. Now I'm getting a new code though. Kind of makes the no O2 sensor codes a hollow victory. The new code is P0420, Catalyst Efficiency Low Fault Bank A. Is this saying that my catalytic converter is dying? I noticed during my many hors under the truck lately that the driver side cat (bank A) has been replaced some time in the vehicle's life while the passenger side appears to be original equipment. The passenger side cat may not be original from the factory but it's definitely a Land Rover part while the driver side has obviously been cut out and replaced. Any ideas are welcome, especially if it's a cheap fix (yeah right).

Quick Reply: Help Interpreting Codes