Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Let me explain. Lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 11:44 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP! Let me explain. Lol

Ok, so I picked up another disco 2. I have attached a video. Now it may be the head gasket but before we get there hear me out. The motor was replaced in 22, then it was repaired due to an exhaust leak? So, the gem of a mechanic says the exhaust manifold didn’t line up so he double gasketed it. Please send me some advice before I rip the heads off! Not sure if the video posted or why it isn’t posting

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1579.MOV (13.90 MB, 9 views)
Old 02-22-2024, 11:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

My manifolds to the head are also double gasketed and from what I understand, that's normal. I'm putting heads back on and going to also double gasket in the same place they already were.

With it cold, put your smoke tester into an O2 sensor hole and see if it's just leaking at gasket or cracked. I use a tire valve stem backwards to plug up O2 sensor port when smoking exhaust.

The following users liked this post:
Vstauder (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 11:50 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Roont
My manifolds to the head are also double gasketed and from what I understand, that's normal. I'm putting heads back on and going to also double gasket in the same place they already were.
what I don’t understand is why they wouldn’t line up? Where you able to see the video?

Old 02-22-2024, 11:57 AM
Three Wheeling

I don't see a video. Sometimes it's easier to put it on YouTube and share the link?

Sometimes things don't line up, especially on our 20 year old vehicles, wear, rust, unreported damage, bashing around on crane when removing old engine, someone getting flat rate and not having time to adjust forever, not-perfect new parts that kind of but not really fit

Someone with more land Rover experience might have better information on the double gasket. But I'd smoke to find exhaust leak first and do my own diag before spending money

​​​​

Vstauder (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 11:57 AM
Overlanding

what I don’t understand is why they wouldn’t line up? Where you able to see the video?

Old 02-22-2024, 12:03 PM
Overlanding

here’s a link to the video

Roont (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 12:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

I saw the video. It sounds like an exhaust gasket leak at the inlet, but have you checked the outlet? Sometimes it's not an alignment issue but a flatness issue. If you stick your hand in there you should be able to feel the puffing.

Old 02-22-2024, 12:10 PM
Three Wheeling

It sounds like either an upper engine tap on that side or an exhaust leak, you're right. When it's running can you feel air chuffing around manifold?

Can get a scope in a spark plug hole to see if a valve is flapping about or maybe easier to just pull off lower intake and feel for play in the rods?

​​​​

Vstauder (02-23-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 12:14 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ahab
I saw the video. It sounds like an exhaust gasket leak at the inlet, but have you checked the outlet? Sometimes it's not an alignment issue but a flatness issue. If you stick your hand in there you should be able to feel the puffing.
will check tonight. Thank you so much for the input. Everyone else has just been saying without them knowing or hearing me out that it’s a head gasket bc it’s a 4.0 Land Rover lol

Old 02-22-2024, 12:17 PM
Overlanding

It sounds like either an upper engine tap on that side or an exhaust leak, you're right. When it's running can you feel air chuffing around manifold?

Can get a scope in a spark plug hole to see if a valve is flapping about or maybe easier to just pull off lower intake and feel for play in the rods?

​​​​
I will check tonight and get back to you, I may need the weekend. But I don’t believe it to be the head gasket. I do get some white smoke at start up but I’m not sure if that could happen from a leak in the exhaust. It doesn’t heat up and I drove it home without any issues. Previous owner said he knew it to not be overheated prior either. I’m fairly certain the gremlin lies in the exhaust manifold or exhaust leak

Quick Reply: HELP! Let me explain. Lol