Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP ME!!!! head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ME!!!! head gasket

i ordered my head gasket set and head bolt set from rovahfarm.com and they will be here friday. i picked my heads up from the machine shop today to find out they had to be cut more than what is recommended for use with OEM head gaskets.

one was cut .027" and the other was cut .030" so now i need a thicker head gasket. unless there are other options like shimming the rockers or something like that. buying or getting new thicker head gaskets made will be my best bet for sure. i just need to know the thickness of a stock gasket. does anyone know??? or should i just wait til mine arrive and measure them myself? also, are there any companies that make thicker head gaskets or should i just call cometic and get some made?

Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure why they cut them beyond recommended specifications in the first place.? I'm not familiar with any such (thicker) head gasket kit.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

thicker head gaskets? que pasa?

Old 12-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Sounds like a good old case of somebody dun f**ked up.Best to go back to the machine shop with a baseball bat...

Old 12-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Mudding

If you didn't authorize them to go below machine spec then they owe you a new set of heads. If you did, well, I would start looking around for a good used set.

I hope this same shop is not turning brake rotors below specs as well.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:42 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So do you know for sure that that there is not enough clearance? My machinist had to remove quite a bit of metal to get my drivers side head straightened out. He told be it would be fine and it was. Did they say why they removed so much material, were they that bad?

Old 12-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Three Wheeling

lipadj46, can you contact your machine shop and ask them how much they removed from the head?

yeah he said that was the least amount that could get the warp out of them completely. i've heard and witnessed first hand of thicker than oem head gaskets for this reason. just havent found them for my application. not that big of a deal because i could possibly make this work. if they wouldnt have done it then i would just be stuck with a set of warped heads. its not like im out of anything besides 50$. hell i just wont drink this weekend and there will be my 50$ haha

Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Rock Crawling

call the dealer see if they have thicker gaskets.
I know that you can buy different thickness gaskets for Porsche 928s so i would figure that the same would hold true for rover products.
OTOH they would probably want to sell you a new head

Old 12-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Three Wheeling

thats why i suggested the thicker head gaskets. my buddy builds ls1 cars and they have different thickness of gaskets for them also. i will call a dealer tmrw. there will be no new head buying though. if thats the case, i will get a whole new long block

Old 12-15-2009, 09:36 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Bombay
lipadj46, can you contact your machine shop and ask them how much they removed from the head?
I doubt he would remember, he's pretty old school. I was worried he took off too much but he wasn't so I went with it and it turned out fine. I have not heard of thicker gaskets though, but call the parts department at your dealer they will sell you a set if they exist.

Quick Reply: HELP ME!!!! head gasket