Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!!! My 2001 Dico Repair Estimates are TOOO expensive!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:19 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!! My 2001 Dico Repair Estimates are TOOO expensive!!!

OK. I am a New Land Rover owner. I have a 2001 Discovery II. I Have the infamous 3 Amigo's problem. The lights are annoying but its something i can live with until i find an inexpensive means to repair it. They did tell me that the T4 determined it to be a shuttle valve failure. I wont bother any experts on how to fix that because I'm sure that has been answered several times somewhere in this forum. I found an Independent Land Rover shop in my area who are well know so I decideed to take it there.

My Issue:
I originally took my disco in because of an oil leak and a strange sound which I originally thought to be break pads,however occured more often when I would release the acceleration.. almost like a loose screw or small rattling, which only lasteda quick 1 or2 seconds on every instance. almost unnoticeable. Well when I received the estimate I was of course shocked... $4000 for Parts and $4500 For Labor... Very discouraging numbers to see... especially when I used to drive something economic like a 03 Saturn Ion. $8800 is obviously something I'm not prepared to pay.. especially when everything seemed to be fine, with the exception of oil leak and 3 amigos. And the way they word the Labor just makes every fix an immediate serious problem. I will of course ask for a second opinion but I fear they will only tell me the same thing.

How can I decrease my costs... what is major right now and what can wait 2 or 3 months.... My estimates are embedded below in the next 2 posts as jpeg. All I need is a running car.. which it does just fine right now... seems like i'm rebuilding the whole engine with these estimates. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. !!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 12:20 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Help!!!! My 2001 Dico Repair Estimates are TOOO expensive!!!

estimate page 1

[IMG]local://upfiles/11559/990B067B0C03428395DE39670787AC39.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-24-2008, 12:24 AM
3rd Gear

Estimate pg 2

[IMG]local://upfiles/11559/0F8CD8CF782D47C5AFD7D2720619821B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Winching

AHHH I love the outrageous OEM prices. What I would do is Find what you can on either http://roverparts.com and/or http://roverconnection.com Get magnecore wires, and a GREASE ABLE drive shaft. If you plan on offroading/going bigger tires try a GBR drive shaft or Tom woods. Or if it is just your DD then you can take it to a shop and they can rebuild it for much less then a new shaft.

But geeze That is one big mess... I'm not sure how serious all those problems are. Maybe it will be cheaper to sell the disco and buy another!! lol.

Let some other guys chime in.. I know more about the 4x4 junk than maintenance!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Holy crap!! I don't know where to start with all of that so I'll take a stab at some of the bigger items.

You probably don't need to replace the entire ABS modulator. There are kits that have come out so you don't need to replace the entire unit for $2,000. Repair kit was ~$800 and I needed a new front left sensor ~$150.

The front drive shaft you can get rebuilt at any driveline shop for about $300 out the door and install it your self with two wrenches.

Same thing with the rotoflex, you only need to drop the rear end of the d/s to replace it. Both can be replaced in about an hour.

Head gaskets can be expensive, but not always needed. Is there coolant in the oil? Have you noticed coolant loss?

My t-case seeps oil like every other LR out there. Have you noticed any pools of oil under your truck?

Old 09-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I dont know where they buy their parts from, but even after converting to UK pounds they are still VERY expensive. I will pick 1 example. $700 for a fornt Driveshaft, pfft!!! Over here £189 brand new !!! so "about" $350. I could even send you one from here "uk" and it would STILL bea lot cheaper.

You could rebuildYOUR shaft for $100 max with parts from over there........and its EASY to do.....

Another example, they are going to charge $111 for your rotoflex coupling, Over here they are £41, so about $75 after conversion.

You need some time on diagnostics to successfully sort the 3 amigos, but everything else could be sorted over time, and for a LOT less. You could do most if not all yourself and there is lots of guys here who would help with advice.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The one thing that you MUST do today is have the front driveshaft rebuilt. If it breaks on you you will be needing a new transmission.
You can have that done at a driveline shop or almost any muffler shop for $300.You can get a brand new one for $450, but rebuilding yours is better.
http://www.roverlandparts.com/1999-2...t-rebuilt.aspx
As for the trasnfer case. So what if it leaks. Just make sure it stays full. Make sure that they check it at every oil change. If you notice a big puddle then get it fixed. But youi can get a brand new t-case for what they want to reseal yours.
http://www.roverlandparts.com/1999-2...lyrebuilt.aspx
I would fix the driveshaft. Then the roto flex. Then the spark plugs and wires. Then the radiator hoses and thermostat.
DO NOT let the truck overheat, you WILL explode the engine.
And keep in mind that you cannot compare this truck to a Saturn. The SaturnIon is a $15,000-$20,000 car, the Discovery is a $35,000-$40,000 car. Which do you think will cost more to keep on the road?
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
www.atlanticbritish.com
www.roverlandparts.com
Just a couple of parts suppliers. Find a indy shop to do your work. You only need a Rover shop for the big stuff, like the ABS. ANd find a indy shop that lets you buy the parts.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok, to put it another way, comparing Land Rovers to Saturns is like comparing apples and oranges.
Oranges are sweet and expensive, apples are cheap andcan be found anywhere.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: mi2pretty

OK. I am a New Land Rover owner. I have a 2001 Discovery II. I Have the infamous 3 Amigo's problem. The lights are annoying but its something i can live with until i find an inexpensive means to repair it. They did tell me that the T4 determined it to be a shuttle valve failure. I wont bother any experts on how to fix that because I'm sure that has been answered several times somewhere in this forum. I found an Independent Land Rover shop in my area who are well know so I decideed to take it there.

My Issue:
I originally took my disco in because of an oil leak and a strange sound which I originally thought to be break pads, however occured more often when I would release the acceleration.. almost like a loose screw or small rattling, which only lasted a quick 1 or 2 seconds on every instance. almost unnoticeable. Well when I received the estimate I was of course shocked... $4000 for Parts and $4500 For Labor... Very discouraging numbers to see... especially when I used to drive something economic like a 03 Saturn Ion. $8800 is obviously something I'm not prepared to pay.. especially when everything seemed to be fine, with the exception of oil leak and 3 amigos. And the way they word the Labor just makes every fix an immediate serious problem. I will of course ask for a second opinion but I fear they will only tell me the same thing.

How can I decrease my costs... what is major right now and what can wait 2 or 3 months.... My estimates are embedded below in the next 2 posts as jpeg. All I need is a running car.. which it does just fine right now... seems like i'm rebuilding the whole engine with these estimates. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. !!!!!!!!
You might want to PM me your tele number so I can call you and work you thru this.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Winching

Definitely give Mike a call. He knows his stuff quite well.

Quick Reply: Help!!!! My 2001 Dico Repair Estimates are TOOO expensive!!!