Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! My rear suspension dropped!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:07 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! My rear suspension dropped!

Hey guys...ok let me statrt from the beginning to give some history. I have a 2001 disco se7. i purchased it july of 2010. when the weather got cold the rear dropped once in a blue. Then the snow came. my husband checked fuse box and saw fuse for sls blown. everytime we would just change the fuse and it would stay lifted for a few days. changes main fuse as well. after a while fuses no longer blew and rear was still dropped. looked under car saw air canister ( that holds the 3 air hoses) was cracked and one of hoses was severed. so....went to lr dealer got part changed it worked for 2 days dropped again. my brother is an experienced mech. he sprayed hoses and air bags to check for leak.no leaks. his guess is height sensors? We def know that air pump is working. It rises then when driving it drops. sometimes when i leave car running to warm up i step outside of car and hear air hissing and car then drops then rises again. so strange. height sensors? its driving me crazy please help. i dont want to damage air pump from overworking it. thank u so much!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can step out and hear hissing (air escaping) then you need to find out where exactly and it shouldn't be too hard if you can audibly hear it with the car running. I would guess it is from the air release line that should be attached up in your wheel well...which is the proper way for the system to deflate when necessary. If it is, it is obviously malfunctioning, probably because of 1 of 2 things: height sensors or SLABS ECU. If not, you have quite the leak somewhere and it should be easy to track down. I don't know of any other components that manage the ride height.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This will solve your problem once and for all.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9268D2ABP.cfm

Old 02-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
This will solve your problem once and for all.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9268D2ABP.cfm
Hah, true. And I did just that this weekend. However, you can convert to coils for about half that price (I did it even less than 1/2) by using Roverguy.com (Will Tillery). He's the man and can get it to you much quicker than the "big guys".

Old 02-27-2011, 07:27 PM
4th Gear

thank u for ur input.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:33 PM
4th Gear

i dont think i can switch to coils just yet.. i took car to get scanned ( not LAND ROVER dealer)and these codes also came up po150 o2 sensor po455 po174..would this have anything to do with it? i dont think so but....??? i am having some smelly fume issues. my brother told me valve covers need to be replaced..oil is dripping. Car lifted back up again while driving to get scanned. so frustrated. any help?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 PM
4th Gear
Default i need disco mike?

anyone know how to get in touch w disco mike? i am new on ths forum. thanks

Old 02-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you are getting a O2 code you need tune up, and no that has nothing to do with your SLS.
As for the valve covers, buy a 8mm 12 point socket and tighten the bolts, the leaks will stop.
Make sure you tighten them at every oil change.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

You're describing at least 3 different unrelated issues from what I've gathered so far.
1) blown compressor fuse usually indicates water/condensation/seized up motor 2) cracked valve block (there is no air canister in the DII SLS system) which you say to have fixed. I've never heard of the valve blocks cracking, but again it's possible there is water in there which froze. 3) leaking air bags - spraying doesn't usually indicate any issues on the SLS air springs since they aren't your typical air bagsand usually leak at the top/bottom where you can't see. Mine leak out every now and then, and it's fairly "normal" - although I'm replacing them with lifetime arnott air springs soon.

No offense to your brother, but if he says you need a new valve cover because yours is leaking.. I would take everything he says with a grain of salt. As Spike said, the cover bolts just loosen up and oil starts to leak - takes 60 seconds to fix. I think you're better off figuring out the SLS issue on these forums personally! I've basically redesigned my system from scratch, so I'm positive I can get yours working again.

Some other things to think about. The "hissing / lowering then rising" thing can be the car correcting height on one side only.. it will drop the left side, then raise the right for example (it's a 2 stop process, since the left and right control valves can't release and inflate opposing sides at the same time - the exhaust valve is shared so it usually releases air on a side first then inflates if required) Also it can't be your height sensors or the system would throw an SLS light/disable and you'd be greeted with an incredibly annoying chime when you went over 20mph (I think?) - the sensors rarely go bad.

My bet is dry rot on the air springs in a location you can't see. I hooked up a VERY HEAVY trailer to my hitch and the system was leaking as fast as it was inflating.. still could BARELY hear the leak, even under extreme load. I doubt you would be able to hear a small leak with no extra load on the frame.