Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here we go with tires again...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:57 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Here we go with tires again...

ok, I know I have asked a few questions with tires and sizes recently, but I am having a very hard time finding a good on road-off road tire for 18" rims... I love the general grabber but everywhere I go doesnt supply them. I might be able to get them from firestone on monday, but they said I need to call them first to see if they can order them. But i need a back-up plan just in case, because this week I HAVE to get new tires. So i was looking at a few options JUST IN CASE they cant do grabbers:

One option was Cooper Zeon XST. Is anyone running these? They seems like a good combo between on road and light off road. They would be my second choice.

The other was Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S. They would be my last resort, but they seems ok as well.

I looked at some BFG's and love them, but they dont make a 255/55/18, or 255/60/18. I will look into them one I get a lift and 16"s but that is way down the road for now. Alright, let me know what you guys think. Any other options are great too! Just let me know.

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here we go with tires again...

Well, toyo makes great tires, open countrys are great, I had them on my old jeep. not to noisy on the road and great traction off road

Old 03-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Kumho has some attractive prices but don't get suckered in. I had a set on my old Maxima and they'd get flat spotted from sitting overnight. Felt like I was driving on square tires for the first 5 miles every morning.

Dave

Old 03-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you against ordering tires online and taking them somewhere to get mounted? Check out www.treadepot.com or www.tiresavings.com for some real good prices.

I got my Grabbers from Treadepot and paid $400, then $80 to get em mounted/stemmed/lifetime balanced at sears (had a gift card ).

Old 03-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get the Grabber AT2's if you can, my friend has used them on / off road, and has currently to date got 56000 miles from a set, not bad hey !!. WIll be fiitting them to mine as soon as the michelins are dead .....

Old 03-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Drifting

So you are saying the hottest tires to buy are General Grabber AT 2's?

I read some reviews on www.tirerack.com, and everyone raved about then. That site has a good price on these bad boys. When I bought my 04 Disco 2 months ago, it had Michelin tires on it. I wonder if I can sell these on Craigslist after I buy all new Grabber's.

What do you guys think?
-Von

ORIGINAL: Urban Panzer

Get the Grabber AT2's if you can, my friend has used them on / off road, and has currently to date got 56000 miles from a set, not bad hey !!. WIll be fiitting them to mine as soon as the michelins are dead .....

Old 03-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I wonder if I can sell these on Craigslist after I buy all new Grabber's?
I thought the same thing 3 weeks ago after purchasing all new BFG's. I still have the 5 old tires wasting space in the garage. There's a chance to sell the unused spare, but no bites yet.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know, the Grabber AT2s are the only A/Ts with as aggresive of a tread like that, that still offers a tread life warranty. 65,000 miles on any AT2! Toyo Open Countrys have a warranty, but those don't have quite as aggresive of a tread for any real offroading.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:20 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah, general has been putting out some really good stuff recently, for an A/T tire its seems to get the best reviews when you look at road noise, tread wear, and all around use. I am praying firestone will do them, if not I think I found another place that might.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ucfmethod

So you are saying the hottest tires to buy are General Grabber AT 2's?

I read some reviews on www.tirerack.com, and everyone raved about then. That site has a good price on these bad boys. When I bought my 04 Disco 2 months ago, it had Michelin tires on it. I wonder if I can sell these on Craigslist after I buy all new Grabber's.

What do you guys think?
-Von

ORIGINAL: Urban Panzer

Well YES if you want an AT tyre and will go offroad, there really is not another tyre anywhere near as good in 18". If BF GoodRich made their AT K/o tyre in 255/55/18, then im pretty sure that would be a dam good tyre to, but they only do 16's

If your never going to venture offroad, then a road tyre maybe more suitable for you, having said that, in the video you get (only small part) if you click my signature image My disco was on factory Michelin Road tyres and performed pretty dam good even in thick mud. AT's or MT's would have been better though.

The General Grabber AT2's are so popular in the UK now, that almost everywhere is sold out and on back order of 18" sizes. I will be DEF fitting them.

Quick Reply: Here we go with tires again...