Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey, Looks Like I'm in the Club Now!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Hey, Looks Like I'm in the Club Now!

After 2 years of ownership, I finally had a visit from The Three Amigos. My wife called me the other day while in the truck and said "the dash says TC and ABS." She turned the truck off and restarted it and the lights were gone and haven't come back since. Would that store a code or do the lights need to be on to read the fault? I know the lights alone are of little use for diagnosing the problem. I did just replace the right rear hub with a Britpart one but it had a Wabco ABS sensor in it and it had been in use for a few hundred miles before the lights came on. I don't have a scanner but if I can get codes from something like that I will try to get one. The truck has 108k on it.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my limited experience personally dealing with the lights I've concluded that most codes, but not all, are hard codes. Meaning, once on, they stay on. You have one of the few "soft" codes that only pop up when it senses an issue but usually goes away on restart.

Chances are the problem causing the code is just beginning and eventually it'll get to the point where it'll fail completely causing a hard code. (ie right now you could be experiencing implausible signals due to a failing sensor and eventually the sensor will go out completely)

I had the same thing happen where I had a stuck pin in a rear rotor and no money (story of my life), every once in a while it would cause the amigos to show up eventually happening more frequently until they were on for good. When I got around to changing the rotor I cleaned off probably a thimble full of iron filings from around the sensor which I believe to be the issue. I'm still not sure of that though since I've yet to have the codes read and the lights are still on.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

1590 prolly stored, just tells you that you have 3 amigos prob. gotta get fancy abs reader to assess. might doubly check connections at your replaced hub...
dealing with similar issue now....going to order nanocom.

Last edited by dusty1; 12-26-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Pro Wrench

I figured I was seeing the initial indications of a pending hard fault but I wasn't sure. I would expect the computer would store intermittent faults for something like a braking system but maybe that system isn't all that important as far as Land Rover is concerned.

I'll double check my connections but I'm pretty skilled at the plugging in thing. Not sure if I'm ready for a Nanocomm yet, but at $416 for all that capability vs. $198 for just brakes, it's a pretty easy call in my book. I'm lucky enough to have a really cool local indy shop with an Autologic computer that I can get to hook me up.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

i have read stories of sensor bracket screw wiggling loose from not being tightened. and even a couple of pinch incidents, but that was at front cv. not doubting your plug in skills....**it happens. easy check. you can even get the intermittent 3 flash from worn brakes

Old 12-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Pro Wrench

I didn't check the sensor as it came as part of the hub. My rear brakes are all new and the fronts have about 5,000 miles on them so I doubt that's the problem. Could be one of the other hubs going bad. I bought the truck with 70k on it and haven't had to deal with the pump yet so that's certainly suspect. I'll just wait until the lights are always on and then I can figure it out.