Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hi-lift mount spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

THanks for all the info. I have a winch and a hi-lift. The winch wouldn't do much good when chaging a tire. I think I'll stick with keeping it on the roof rack or the rear bumper.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greenharoguy
Wich is exactly what I said. Most people who have high lifts dont have a winch, for example Wreckdriver. In wich case, they are going to be stumbling around trying to get their high lift..................
When I get to the point of being quite stuck, I'm not going to be in a hurry because I know I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. The last thing I'd want to do is dent my truck or my head, so I do take my time and I'm quite careful. I make sure I have solid footing and can handle the jack. I haven't had an issue with it yet, and I doubt I will. I'll keep it where it is.

Plus, it stays out of the mud or water. And I don't have to open a door to get to it.

Last edited by wreckdiver1321; 02-14-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
When I get to the point of being quite stuck, I'm not going to be in a hurry because I know I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. The last thing I'd want to do is dent my truck or my head, so I do take my time and I'm quite careful. I make sure I have solid footing and can handle the jack. I haven't had an issue with it yet, and I doubt I will. I'll keep it where it is.

Plus, it stays out of the mud or water. And I don't have to open a door to get to it.
I wasn't saying that you would, but most do. I have seen numerous cases of people freaking out and trying to get out and get their trucks/jeeps out. Maybe your not most, and you dont get ancy when your truck is bumper deep in mud....

Most of the time, when you get stuck, their isnt much solid footing, because your usually pretty deep in mud, or your on rocks etc... maybe you have had better luck then me, but I dont think I have ever been stuck some where that the footing is ideal to reach to the top of my truck, stand on my toes and pull down a heavy *** awkward piece of metal without having any worries of hitting myself, someone around me, or my truck. **** happens, even if you are being careful. Like I said, nothings happened yet to you, and who knows, maybe nothing will happen in your case, but it happens all the time. I personally know three people who have done it, and I have heard stories of other's who have as well. Its not a rare case of someone getting stuck, or someone in their driveway trying to pull their highlift off and hitting something with it.

Hypothetically speaking, lets say you do get stuck, nobody is around so your going to have to rely on yourself to get your truck out, the first thing you do, is get that handy dandy shovel down. You start digging yourself out, and finally after an hour of labor you realize your going to need to winch yourself out. So you go and grab your high-lift to use as a make shift winch. Maybe your a body builder, and at this point your not tired as **** like most normal human beings would be, so you have no issues reaching to the top of your truck and grabbing your 40 pound piece of awkward metal.....As for the rest of us, we grab it, and have an issue getting it down (This is a normal time when **** happens, and it goes through one of your windows). You winch yourself out (another 30 minutes to an hour of hard labor). Then you go back and try to put it up. I dont care who you are, or how much of a body builder you are. Your going to be tired as ****, and this is when your highlift usually goes through your window, or on your head, or on your girlfriends head, or on your foot (I could go on all day with where it could fall and what damage it could do).

But, you havent had any issues with it yet, so keep on trooping.

Along with the mud and water thing, if you keep it up there all the time, its still going to experience all the seasons, and its still going to rust, and the grease is going to fail, and the one time you will actually need it, its not going to work. Unless your one of the few who actually takes it down (without ever dropping it, or hitting it against something) 4 times a year to clean and grease it.

Like I said, I am not trying to say that you will ever drop it, but the odds are against you. Its a great place to store it when you arent wheeling, but I seriously disagree with saying its a bright idea to keep it up there when on the trails and there is a decent chance of you getting stuck somewhere.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greenharoguy
I wasn't saying that you would, but most do. I have seen numerous cases of people freaking out and trying to get out and get their trucks/jeeps out. Maybe your not most, and you dont get ancy when your truck is bumper deep in mud....

Most of the time, when you get stuck, their isnt much solid footing, because your usually pretty deep in mud, or your on rocks etc... maybe you have had better luck then me, but I dont think I have ever been stuck some where that the footing is ideal to reach to the top of my truck, stand on my toes and pull down a heavy *** awkward piece of metal without having any worries of hitting myself, someone around me, or my truck. **** happens, even if you are being careful. Like I said, nothings happened yet to you, and who knows, maybe nothing will happen in your case, but it happens all the time. I personally know three people who have done it, and I have heard stories of other's who have as well. Its not a rare case of someone getting stuck, or someone in their driveway trying to pull their highlift off and hitting something with it.

Hypothetically speaking, lets say you do get stuck, nobody is around so your going to have to rely on yourself to get your truck out, the first thing you do, is get that handy dandy shovel down. You start digging yourself out, and finally after an hour of labor you realize your going to need to winch yourself out. So you go and grab your high-lift to use as a make shift winch. Maybe your a body builder, and at this point your not tired as **** like most normal human beings would be, so you have no issues reaching to the top of your truck and grabbing your 40 pound piece of awkward metal.....As for the rest of us, we grab it, and have an issue getting it down (This is a normal time when **** happens, and it goes through one of your windows). You winch yourself out (another 30 minutes to an hour of hard labor). Then you go back and try to put it up. I dont care who you are, or how much of a body builder you are. Your going to be tired as ****, and this is when your highlift usually goes through your window, or on your head, or on your girlfriends head, or on your foot (I could go on all day with where it could fall and what damage it could do).

But, you havent had any issues with it yet, so keep on trooping.

Along with the mud and water thing, if you keep it up there all the time, its still going to experience all the seasons, and its still going to rust, and the grease is going to fail, and the one time you will actually need it, its not going to work. Unless your one of the few who actually takes it down (without ever dropping it, or hitting it against something) 4 times a year to clean and grease it.

Like I said, I am not trying to say that you will ever drop it, but the odds are against you. Its a great place to store it when you arent wheeling, but I seriously disagree with saying its a bright idea to keep it up there when on the trails and there is a decent chance of you getting stuck somewhere.
I see your point. And I must say I agree with it. I wasn't at all trying to say you're wrong, because I don't think you are. Haha I'm no body builder and I'm not perfect. You make a really good argument.

When I'm that stuck I'm not in a hurry. I take a breath and try to figure out the best way out of it.

You're right, generally footing is not ideal, but I generally try to make sure I'm somewhat stable before I pull the Hi-Lift down. I do worry about it when I take it down, which is why I do so slowly. And when I'm lifting it up, if I feel it's going to be an issue, which has happened before, it rides in the back.

I'm not saying my solution is perfect, or even a good one, but it seems to work fine for me.

Oh, and I do try to take the jack down and clean it every so often.

I can see what your saying, and I will consider it carefully. But to each his own.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Three Wheeling

Just got my High Lift yesterday and had thought mounting it on the floor of the back seat was a good idea. Not perfect but it had enough pros I thought I'd give it a shot. I really like the idea of having it inside for security and also to keep it fresh and clean. I could see it being hard to get to in some situations, but any location could potentially be in a bad spot. Greenharoguy,do you have any pics of how you mounted yours and could you give me a little more info on the install. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't listen to these "You'll shoot your eye out with the damn jack" mentality guys.Just mount it where you want it.If you don't like the location later on or if you find it inconvenient just move it.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello, just thought I'd bring some closure to this thread.
I did end up buying a spare tire mount for my hi-lift jack and it works with no issue.
I found guy on ebay thats makes them in his garage. $20.00 They are for Jeeps but I got him to drill the holes for 5x4.75
I've used it a few times and it's great on the trail. I think longterm I would not run it on the spare while daily driving. I've got a wife and kids and it just makes the door too heavy for groceries, strollers etc. Aside from that, I've had no issues with it.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a County around here, who has his across the top of his brush-guard, headlight to headlight.

That, I think, will be the solution for me.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:16 AM
Drifting
Default Hi lift mount

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Is anyone running a hi-lift jack monted to their oversized spare on the stock read door set up? i'm looking into mounting my hi-lift on my rear spare (285/75/16) but I'm a little worried that the door will not take that weight on the trail, buncing around etc.

i'm looking for feedback from people that are doing this or that have tried it, not so much the people that haven't done it and think it's a bad idea.

Thanks for feedback. Love my D2
Wow darn good thing you put that disclaimer on your post. Think of all the responses from people without any experience on this matter if you hadn't, LOL. For me I am mounting mine on my front bumper. I have no valid info on the rear door mounting question. Dach.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

day to day then mine lives on the floor behined the front seats. When going off road then it sits on the ARB with Hi Lift mounts:

Amazon.com: Hi-Lift Jack TM-700 1"-2" Adjustable Tube Mount: Automotive Amazon.com: Hi-Lift Jack TM-700 1"-2" Adjustable Tube Mount: Automotive

Attached Thumbnails hi-lift mount spare tire-img_0039.jpg   hi-lift mount spare tire-img_1117.jpg  

Quick Reply: hi-lift mount spare tire