Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi-Lift Roof Rack Mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008 | 09:10 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Hi-Lift Roof Rack Mount

How do you guys with your Hi-Lift jack on your roof rack have them mounted?

Thinking about moving mine from the front bumper onto the side of my SD roof rack here fairly soon and just wanted to get a couple of ideas in mind from the people who have already done it.

Old 12-13-2008 | 09:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Hi-Lift Roof Rack Mount

It's really easy to make one if you have a welder. Basically just get 2 1"x1/8"x6" piece of steel, drill a hole dead center in it and weld them onto the rack. Then you just gotta bolt the jack into the hole. It'll probably rattle but that's easy to solve.

Old 12-13-2008 | 09:22 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

I was actually thinking more along the lines of cutting out four pieces of metal. Two flat for the back side, and then the other two with indentions in them to mold around the pipe of the rack. Three bolt holes in all of them, one up top, one in the middle, and them one in the bottom. Top and bottom ones holding the mount onto the rack. Middle one holding the jack onto the mount.

Just mostly becuase I don't want to weld anything perminate onto my rack.

Old 12-13-2008 | 09:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Basically the same concept, but actually that's a really good idea. Makes it very easily removed. I'm sure you could get all the parts and paint them for less than $20 at Home Depot or something.

Old 12-13-2008 | 11:37 PM
TReK

I know this would e too easy but there are mounts available to mount a hi-lift to the side of the rack. Atlantic British sells them. The real challenge is how to mount a hi-lift to the factory rails until I decide whether I want a full rack or not.

Old 12-14-2008 | 12:29 AM
Winching

im guessing you have some kinda brush bar on the front bumper that it is currently mounted to?
let me know if you find a way to mount it to factory rails on roof.

thanks

Old 12-14-2008 | 02:07 AM
TReK

i'll post pics in the AM of my new rack and jack mount

Old 12-14-2008 | 08:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, Depends on whether you want the satisfaction of making them, or buying them. I have seen a few that you can buy, several of them very smart indeed, however I would probably make mine, heres a example of some made byDarren Burgess of landroverdiscovery.netin the UK. They are very simple but effective imo and completely adjustable /removable like you want.

these are probably the quickest / neatest solution I have seen, but no idea who made them, whether they are even home made or bought items. But they are VERY smart

Old 12-14-2008 | 10:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle

i need a hi lift just so i can mount it to my rack... i am thinkin about tryin to find some sand ladders too... just to have the mounted on my rack... i may never need them but they look so cool up there...

Old 12-14-2008 | 10:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Roversnorth has sand ladders. Not cheap but it's the only place I've found that has them. Haven't really been looking though lol

Quick Reply: Hi-Lift Roof Rack Mount