Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Beam indicator

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:18 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Beam indicator

Recently purchased a '02 DII and am unable to pass the State mandatory vehicle inspection due to an inoperable High-Beam indicator.

The P.O. had installed aftermarket HID's...which are currently residing in the rubbish bin.
I have reverted back to standard bulbs (9003). The control stalk will switch between main and dipped beams (high and low), but the indicator in the instrument cluster does not function.

I pulled the instrument cluster and replaced the High beam indicator lamp and verified that the bulb holder is intact...nada.

Still do not obtain the necessary blue indicator on the dash.

Suggestions?

Grounding issue?
IDM?
Control Stalk?

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi

Old 05-15-2015, 09:40 AM
Drifting

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?...Bueller?...Bueller?

Old 05-15-2015, 09:43 AM
Baja
Received 720 Likes on 625 Posts

Light stalk switch- change it out and see if it works?

I can sell you one, if it doesn't solve the proble you can return it for a refund.

That's my only guess.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Take a look at the wiring in the RAVE for the head light and instrument panel. The warning light is called the "Warning Lamp - Main Beam".

Looking at the instruments diagram. If is controlled by the BCU and goes thru the fuse box (IDM) before it goes to the instrument panel.

If it is switching the headlight between low (dip) and high (main), I don't think it is the stalk switch. The exterior lamps diagram show the switch. There is no additional sire coming off the switch DIP/MAIN (Y167)

I would start by checking to see if the IDM is sending a signal to the Instrument cluster (Connector C0230 Pin 3) This is the connector on the back of the cluster. The electric library will show you which wire pin 3 is. Id you have power here when the main beams are on. Then you have a bulb bulb or cluster... If you dont have power, then work your way back. Next step would be check the output of the IDM.

From the Electrical Library in the RAVE:

Main beam warning lamp
The main beam warning lamp is connected from the instrument pack pin C0230-3 on a US wire to the IDM in the passenger compartment fusebox.
Refer to the head/side and number plate lamps section of this manual for details of operation.

Headlamps - Main Beam Operation
When the lighting switch is moved to the flash or main position, the feed from fusible link 10 in the engine compartment fusebox, passes through the switch contacts. The feed is connected on a UW wire to the passenger compartment fusebox, where it passes through fuses 3 and 22.
The IDM senses the headlamp main beam request and through internal circuitry, provides a feed, on a US wire, to the main beam warning lamp in the instrument pack. The main beam warning lamp is connected from the instrument pack to earth on a B wire to earth header C0551.

Last edited by acamato; 05-15-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:28 PM
Drifting

Appreciate the responses.

Pulled the bulb from the cluster earlier this week. It measured good, but I replaced it anyway with a new one - measures the same.

I read through the RAVE and noted that the signal to turn on the High Beam indicator comes from the IDM...based on increased Voltage draw.

(Guessing that this is not a good old fashion simple Relay circuit that gets picked when power goes to the high beam...closes a circuit back to the indicator??? Dang computers!)

I will spend some time tomorrow metering the circuits. Not familiar with the IDM - yet - but will soon be better acquainted.

Any options for repair of the IDM or does it have to be replaced outright if it is faulty?

Old 05-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Its part of the fuse box. You would need to replace the fuse box the replace the IDM.

One thing to try: Disconnect the battery, leave it so about 10 minutes, reconnect it, put ignition on pos II and for 5 minutes then try to start the car. This resets the communication link between the BCU and IDM.
I think if it is a communication issue, you would have other issues.

IDM
The IDM is integrated into the passenger compartment fuse box, which is mounted behind the fascia below the
steering column. There are no harnesses between the fuse box and the IDM. The IDM performs the power switching
operations for several of the vehicle's electrical systems.
The IDM communicates with the BCU and the instrument pack via a serial interface. If the BCU or the IDM is replaced,
the communications link between the two units has to be re-established. This can be done either by switching on the
ignition and leaving it on for five minutes, or by using TestBook. The vehicle immobilisation will remain active until the
communications link between the BCU and IDM has been re-established.

Last edited by acamato; 05-15-2015 at 01:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
caspice (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the advice. I will try disconnecting the battery for a while then re initializing the communication link. That falls under the KISS category of diagnostic repairs.

Since this is new-to-me vehicle, there could be other issues that are yet to be identified. I am headed to the dealer tomorrow to check on a repair history.

I will let you know what I find.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Drifting

Disconnected the battery for 20 minutes. Followed link up proceedure. No change.
Verified conductivity from fuse block connector to cluster connector to cluster board to lamp housing. All good.
My DMM indicated 0 volts on that circuit with the engine running, lights on and switching between hi/lo beams. Lights change state, but no voltage on indicator circuit.

Removed and disassembled the fuse block. Cleaned the circuit boards for the fuses,relays and IDM. No visible contaminents or damage. Reassembled, hooked back up, followed link up proceedure, started the truck and still no voltage on the indicator circuit.

Any other suggestions as to the cause/remedy or am I looking at sourcing a replacement fuse block/IDM?

If this is a faulty IDM, then I award it a big UFB for having only one faulty function....the one needed to pass State Inspection.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need to pass inspection and is required is for the indicator of the high beam to light up, assuming your high beam lights are working, about installing an exterior blue/purple light in the dash to comply and work at your pace to solve the issue. I know is not the solution to the problem but it will get you a sticker. I believe you can pick up those at Radio Shack and just energize the blue light with the same circuit to the high beam. I don't believe the draw will be that significant

Old 05-19-2015, 07:09 AM
Drifting

Included a few photos of the Fuse block/IDM for those interested.

Traced out the wiring from the headlamp high beam bulb back to the fuse block; the circuit integrity all meters out as good. The circuit integrity from the fuse block to the instrument cluster also meters out good. The only fly in the ointment between these two circuits is the IDM.

Unless someone has another suggestion I will be tapping off of the circuit from the fuse block to the headlamp, installing an isolator relay to switch power to the instrument cluster hi-beam bulb. It will be a little tight, but I should be able to make these changes inside the cab/behind the fuse block.

My understanding, based on the information in the RAVE, is that the High-beam indicator is the ONLY instrument cluster lamp the is NOT included in a self-check upon start up. So snipping the wire from the connector should -in theory- not cause any additional issues with the IDM.

I will post up some photos of the final result.

Attached Thumbnails High Beam indicator-0515151754.jpg   High Beam indicator-0515151755d.jpg   High Beam indicator-0515151755e.jpg   High Beam indicator-0515151757.jpg   High Beam indicator-0515151804.jpg  

Quick Reply: High Beam indicator