Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage Disco's

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:25 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
Miami 2004 is most likely a small dealer - who takes trades when selling a vehicle? I'd ask them where or why they got it. See if the owner on the title matches who's selling it to you. I've stopped looking for cars in RI because of some of the used car sharks pretending to not be dealers... Often they've found an issue and want to dump it on the unsuspecting. Things like 'am/fm, power windows, power seats' screams generic seller... A good owner would put things like "Head gaskets done 10k ago" etc. Also, miles not listed? Better way to generate calls for the curious. "Ahh, just come out and look at it" man I can hear it now!

Treasure 2004 - Younger owner accepting texts. Doesn't MEAN it has to be bad, but younger folks don't always do the same maintenance that older folks would spring for...

The 2003 I wouldn't bother with. Between the oil pump issues that may all be sorted out and no CDL... There's just no point to me. Either of those 2k4 ones are good to go look at though. Never hurts. The way I see it, if its under 6k and in good shape, I'll pay it for a 2k4.
The treasure coast one looks promising being the head gaskets are done and a few other perks.. it does have some bumper cracks though.

50/50 on the miami one its a dealer for sure but no dealer fees. Claims the only issue is a scratched rear bumper and a broken front one. I asked him specifically about every common failure and it seems to check out.. We know dealers though. Its an hour drive away and if I get real bored at some point this week I will check it out.

Originally Posted by drowssap
the 04 "title in hand", count out 45 Benjamin s and go from their
I'm working on price now and using kbb in my area as it is the only one in the i ballpark for the market. i will pay a fair price.. fact is that rig would sell for 4500 in a few days. I missed one today by a few hours for 4800 04 with 113k and it sold in 3 hours(loaded hse7)

Last edited by MrWesson; 03-18-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:21 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm driving my 01 D2 with 259K on the meter. It has a few issues here and there, like the brake switch yesterday, but it has been a great truck. I got it as a dealer demo with 3k on it in 2001. Drive it every day, still going strong! I'm going for 300k and beyond!!!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:59 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by rowdyraven
I'm driving my 01 D2 with 259K on the meter. It has a few issues here and there, like the brake switch yesterday, but it has been a great truck. I got it as a dealer demo with 3k on it in 2001. Drive it every day, still going strong! I'm going for 300k and beyond!!!
Congrats on the mileage!

I'm on my way to look at one and while on the highway a discovery was on the shoulder going 10mph.. I almost turned around...

Old 03-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MrWesson
I'm on my way to look at one and while on the highway a discovery was on the shoulder going 10mph.. I almost turned around...
It's surely a love hate relationship.

Dave

Old 03-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Mudding

Some Highlights from today. Looked at a 04 SE7.. condition is iffy(at best) but price is good.

What level would you rate the rust? My instinct is to run like hell but the rust does mostly look like a surface issue and isolated to the undercarriage.

Not sure what to make of that metal bar in the driver seat. On top of what is pictured it needs....
Front bumper
Rear view mirror
Clunk when on throttle/off throttle.. seems one step past normal(bet the Transfercase fluid is low.
High/low works but diff lock is seized.
Headliner is on its way out(not bad now but you can tell its going to let go)
aftermarket head unit(I hate them)
2 crappy tv's in the headrest(dont think they even work/eyesore)

After idling/running for 45min. Without a live scan for temps one can never be sure but does the gauge look to be in order?

Last edited by MrWesson; 03-20-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

it looks like a landscape, to me

Old 03-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I cannot say for what uis pictured.. I can't see the pics.. but the headliner is normal for all d2s. The headrests can be changed out easily. The diff lock.being seized I would consider normal from lack of use. My hi/low was locked up for the same reason. I wouldn't stress those things.

Do not trust the in dash temp guage. That stupid thing will sit in the "comfort zone" (middle) between 130* and something like 250*.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rowdyraven
Not surprising. I put similar mileage on my 1991 Range Rover classic, with 3.9 Litre version of same engine; did same thing on my Rover 3500 sedan years ago, with 3.5 litre version of same engine. These engines hold up really well, if you don't do something stupid, and if you do regular maintenance, and use caution to never ever overheat them. I am convinced that most of the Rover engines with numerous problems, that we often hear about, are created by owners who don't care for them at all, until problems are well engrained, and by owners who don't know a camshaft from a bowling ball.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Mudding
Old 03-21-2014, 08:52 AM
Mudding

Working pictures posted of the rust....

Not touching it with a 10' pole.

Opening back up to 2003's.. Finding an 04 in decent shape without an asking price over 6k is proving difficult.

Looking at an 03 with silly rims but good shape for 4k today. I also got my delphi unit so I can now read abs,obd and chassis codes.

Last edited by MrWesson; 03-21-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: High mileage Disco's