Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Temp's / No Fan (or fun!)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts
Default High Temp's / No Fan (or fun!)...

so I've been working on bleeding the cooling system, and only this weekend did I notice the suggestions on jacking the front end up while doing it, what a difference that makes! but I still have some sloshing, so I'll try bleeding with jacked front end a couple of more times. ok, so it's gotten a bit warmer down here in Flatistan (Florida) and I have started using the a/c. I have never seen/heard the little aux fan move or make a peep at any point and with the a/c on, the temps like to ride at 210+. having thoroughly confused myself by reading a number of posts on the aux fan, etc., I'm a bit confused. Is / are there fuses and or relays that must be checked? who is the guy for replacement fans if that turns out to be the problem? sorry if this is a bit incoherent, rough weekend with a colicky 2 m/o little angel. thanks guys...

Old 02-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

did you look with the ac on? otherwise 212 is the kick on, with other factors.
and gripe water does wonders or a colicky baby

Old 02-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just had to drain and fill the system this weekend and I noticed a few things that may help.
I jacked up the front end a bit, lifted the tank up high, unscrewed the bleed screw and started filling. While filling the tank I noticed it wasn't taking in the normal amount of coolant that it should and no coolant was coming out of the bleed hole when the tank was full.
I started squeezing all the different hoses until I found the one that made the most bubbles in the tank. I noticed that after pumping the hose a few times it took down a ton of coolant and started coming out of the bleed hole. I kept filling the tank allowing a lot of coolant to come out and then put the bleed screw back in.
I filled up the tank and then pumped on all the different hoses again until almost no bubbles came up in the tank. Then I removed the bleed screw all the way again and kept filling the tank as it poured out. I tightened the screw one last time and put the tank back in place.
Fill the tank over the fill line a bit and start the car on full heat and let it warm all the way up in the drive way then go for a good drive until the heater really starts warming up (10-15 minutes) .
Let the car sit and completely cool over night and top up the tank if it's low.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Try this thread I made to check you A/C fan motor. If you have questions please ask.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...n-motor-62983/

Make sure the temp outside is warm enough to make your fan come on when you turn on the A/C. The fan will not come on every time you turn on the A/C so be sure all the settings are right when testing it that way or you my misdiagnose a bad fan.

Last edited by Jared9220; 02-10-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Winching

thanks guys. yeah, we use gripe water, but the poor thing still has bad crying. dr suggested rice cereal in the formula. checked the fan with the a/c on, no go. checked the #5 40 amp fuse in the box, looks good, whoops- which relay? have pumped all the hoses I can find- upper, lower, heater core in & out, manifold pre-warmer thingy hoses. when I had it jacked-up and was doing bleed (repeatedly) it would flow/gurgle bad/flow- did that about 1/2 dozen times, uses up a lot of coolant. no apparent leaks in any hoses or in the cabin. will try again in the am. thanks again.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

wait... uses coolant? as in level drops? no leaks?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by dusty1
wait... uses coolant? as in level drops? no leaks?
during the bleed- pour coolant into bottle, flows and gurgles out of bleed hole. otherwise, no change in level in the overflow bottle during/after driving. sorry if that wasn't clear.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

gotcha and that rice cereal helped my girls,too.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by jamestfl
thanks guys. yeah, we use gripe water, but the poor thing still has bad crying. dr suggested rice cereal in the formula. checked the fan with the a/c on, no go. checked the #5 40 amp fuse in the box, looks good, whoops- which relay? have pumped all the hoses I can find- upper, lower, heater core in & out, manifold pre-warmer thingy hoses. when I had it jacked-up and was doing bleed (repeatedly) it would flow/gurgle bad/flow- did that about 1/2 dozen times, uses up a lot of coolant. no apparent leaks in any hoses or in the cabin. will try again in the am. thanks again.
Before you test the fan using the A/C, push the "ext" button and see what the temp outside is. If it's colder than 82F then the fan "will not" come on.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you checked to see if the fan moves. Mine was seized and so was the replacement I got.

Quick Reply: High Temp's / No Fan (or fun!)...