Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill Descent Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Hill Descent Control

Hey all,

Haven't been on much lately but wanted to mention this. When the wife and I go shopping along the way there is a gas line (trail) right beside the road that pretty much goes straight up, pretty much every time we go past it I say - we're going up that when we have time. Welp, this past weekend I said that and the wife said turn this bit*@ around and get your a@* up it. Away we went, the Disco hasn't been exercised in a little while and the mountain is cut like giant steps so I used Hi and Lo range (and worked the shifter aroound its track) with a couple of different gear opitons (1,2,3 with an auto trans) just to push fluid. We played for a bit then started back on our way and I realized after descending the first step - the Disco has "HDC" I was a little leery about using it for two reasons A. this is the first vehicle I've owned with it (hence never used it) and B. this could get expensive...I said what the hell and gave it a shot, I have to say that is one of the best things I've ever experienced going down hill in a vehicle - did I mention ever! I liked it so much we went back and did it again. AAAAA modern technologies!!!

The only thing I noticed that could be improved is yep you guessed it, the brakes were a little sluggish when I made the initial E-stop to start our adventure. I was starting to drool to so the brakes may be attributed to anticipation!

Old 09-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

So have you done a 3 pints brake flush yet and who's brake pads are you using?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Night Train
Hey all,

Haven't been on much lately but wanted to mention this. When the wife and I go shopping along the way there is a gas line (trail) right beside the road that pretty much goes straight up, pretty much every time we go past it I say - we're going up that when we have time. Welp, this past weekend I said that and the wife said turn this bit*@ around and get your a@* up it. Away we went, the Disco hasn't been exercised in a little while and the mountain is cut like giant steps so I used Hi and Lo range (and worked the shifter aroound its track) with a couple of different gear opitons (1,2,3 with an auto trans) just to push fluid. We played for a bit then started back on our way and I realized after descending the first step - the Disco has "HDC" I was a little leery about using it for two reasons A. this is the first vehicle I've owned with it (hence never used it) and B. this could get expensive...I said what the hell and gave it a shot, I have to say that is one of the best things I've ever experienced going down hill in a vehicle - did I mention ever! I liked it so much we went back and did it again. AAAAA modern technologies!!!

The only thing I noticed that could be improved is yep you guessed it, the brakes were a little sluggish when I made the initial E-stop to start our adventure. I was starting to drool to so the brakes may be attributed to anticipation!
Gotta try this soon...haven't tested mine out either! :thumbup:

Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Glad your wife finally called you out, had lots of fun didnt you?
The HDC is great when it works, if your 3 amigos are on it will not work so keep that in mind.
We do that same kind of thing, on a trip and we see a trail and the next thing you know we are 2 hours late for Thanksgiving dinner at the in-laws.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
The HDC is great when it works, if your 3 amigos are on it will not work so keep that in mind.
not always true. i have my 3 amigos and my ABS and HDC works, my TC doesnt. the codes if for my right front speed sensor. not sure why, maybe mine is a one off. for most of the time you are correct it disables it.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another HDC fact: it does not work going backwards (reverse.) Did get to try mine out on a sippery long decent in ice once in the mountains. Was fun watching the kids in the back seat waving at the trucks stuck in the ditches on both sides of the roads, ha, ha..

Old 09-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used my HDC in reverse going down a driveway slope last year in NC. Worked great in reverse.

-Aaron
2003 SE7 111,000 miles