Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should Brendon replace the HG himself?
Absolutely not, he is inexperienced.
12.50%
Sure, he has support if he needs and will update us during the process.
87.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Hilma - Head Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 12:04 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hilma - Head Gasket Replacement

I want to thank everyone of this forum because you have made my life with this car manageable. I did purchase this car in March, had a mechanic look it over before and they only reported small things like oil leaks and non-functioning rear wiper motor, etc (things that are not vital). So I purchased from a private seller, took it to a land rover mechanic and he spotted the coolant leak immediately. Since March I have driven it as a daily racking up only 4-5k of miles. The coolant level dropped twice by about an inch over a three week period about two months ago.

I have flushed the system of old coolant and switched to some blue stuff that my land rover mechanic said was fine so long as the flush was thorough. This was a month ago and I did not properly flush it so I put in more coolant flush and have been waiting for this to have the system apart and re-flush properly.

LR mechanic states the front seal is leaking, head gasket leak is there but overall engine is in good shape. I have had the oil light come on recently at low RPM after the engine has heated up and run 5W-30 Synthetic which I probably need to change. Estimated cost of repair $1,900+ depending on what needs replacing. My mechanical knowledge is sparse and while I felt confident, reading Tricky Dick's tale and others, I really fear my abilities with this job. I do have a mobile mechanic on standby and another mechanic who works for Cummins that are willing to come and assist in a pinch. I also live in Black Forest, CO so anyone willing to stop by will be welcomed with food and beverage.

Should I proceed with purchasing the tools and parts to repair this myself? I have a nice window between December 23rd and 31st with my roommate gone to be able to use his car if need be and of course take time off work. I have a garage with compressor and compressor tools and various tools from the few repairs I have done myself (starter, throttle body heater plate, etc).

Many of you state this is a job that most can do yet some of you commented on my introduction post that I should reconsider this and bite the bullet with the labor costs at the shop. My worksheet for the car lists all past work done and planned work.

Please be honest with me here. I've studied the AB videos since June, I've read as many threads here as I can, and elsewhere. I have RAVE and I really want to do this myself to save the money and have a cathartic experience with this car. I also have nothing else to do the week of Christmas.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:13 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

D2's are easy to work on, the service manual is here, alot of us have done it if you need to ask questions, you have tools and work space, you'll save Alot of money, you'll learn alot, and most and best of all...you Want to do it.
Go for it.

The following users liked this post:
Brendon H (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Check my Tricky Dick Head Gasket thread

Old 12-12-2019, 12:49 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

https://thegeneralistblog.tumblr.com...rd-of-activity

https://thegeneralistblog.tumblr.com...artstools-list

I went way overboard on mine, but these blogs may be helpful, maybe not.

I’d recommend using Fel-Pro gasket set.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:09 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

It is a good learning experience, but I will say this do not tie yourself to 7 days, it could take longer.

Just take your time if in doubt stop and ask questions.

When you take it part LABEL EVERYTHING - zip lock bags and some cardboard for lifter rods (number as they came out)

When you re-assemble double check fit and torque settings

CollieRover (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Check my Tricky Dick Head Gasket thread
Oh I have been, very informative and a little frightening. You're doing great and it's helping me make this decision. Best of luck!

Old 12-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Drifting
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CollieRover
https://thegeneralistblog.tumblr.com...rd-of-activity

https://thegeneralistblog.tumblr.com...artstools-list

I went way overboard on mine, but these blogs may be helpful, maybe not.

I’d recommend using Fel-Pro gasket set.
You're a saint Collie!

CollieRover (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendon H
Oh I have been, very informative and a little frightening. You're doing great and it's helping me make this decision. Best of luck!
This is my first time doing head gaskets. I have done a ton of other work but, this should give you an idea of time, tools, and issues

Brendon H (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
D2's are easy to work on, the service manual is here, alot of us have done it if you need to ask questions, you have tools and work space, you'll save Alot of money, you'll learn alot, and most and best of all...you Want to do it.
Go for it.
Thank you Sixpacks577, definitely feel more confident with this message.

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
I will say this do not tie yourself to 7 days, it could take longer.

When you take it part LABEL EVERYTHING - zip lock bags and some cardboard for lifter rods (number as they came out)
Your posts on here have been immensely helpful and I will record everything. I figured it would take longer if the heads need to be machined (want to avoid this because I do not know if they have previously had material taken off), i have a shop in town to go to, and I imagine that will add a week to the time-frame with the holiday season.

Sixpack577 (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Parts List to Order (I compared prices on both websites and these are the cheapest)
Lucky 8
  1. BELT TENSIONER & IDLER PULLEY KIT
  2. Timing Chain PR2 C S GEAR
  3. Front Crankshaft Seal Allmakes
  4. Front Cover Gasket
  5. Oil Pan Gasket
  6. Oil Pump Repair Kit Allmakes
AB
  1. Water Pump & Gasket by Airtex
  2. Hylomar Universal Blue Gasket Sealer - 100 Gm Tube
  3. Expansion Tank Cap
  4. Crankshaft Position Sensor, BOSCH Engine, For Land Rover Discovery Series 2 And Range Rover P38
  5. Composite Head Gasket Set For V8 BOSCH Motors, Includes Head Bolt Set, For Land Rover Discovery Series 2 And Range Rover P38
  6. O Ring Oil Pickup- 4.0/4.6 Engine
  7. Serpentine Belt
Any suggestions or changes? I hear a little squeak on startup and it seems like a good idea to change the belt, the belt tensioner and idler pulley because I do not know how old they are. I plan on dropping the oil pan as well just to ensure the pickup tube is not gunked up. I've heard it is a good idea to replace the timing chain as well, and servicing the oil pump. Total cost of parts is around 760 and I dream of keeping this project under a grand.

Last edited by Brendon H; 12-12-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Hilma - Head Gasket Replacement