Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should Brendon replace the HG himself?
Absolutely not, he is inexperienced.
12.50%
Sure, he has support if he needs and will update us during the process.
87.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Hilma - Head Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 01:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

You may also consider removing the exhaust heads (that is what I did)

The following users liked this post:
Brendon H (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 04:16 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It took a call to my mobile mechanic who got it off in a few seconds with a big milwaukee impact and the right sockets. Lifted the body a little and jiggled the sump out!

It looks pretty good, I'll post photos later.

Thanks for the advice Sixpack & Friday Night Disco- I have removed the 3 nuts on the exhaust and only one stud came out. I did not try and remove the others yet. Crossmember is removed too.

Next step, the front cover. I can get off my back for a little bit at least now.

Old 12-27-2019, 04:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendon H
It took a call to my mobile mechanic who got it off in a few seconds with a big milwaukee impact and the right sockets. Lifted the body a little and jiggled the sump out!

Thanks for the advice Sixpack & Friday Night Disco- I have removed the 3 nuts on the exhaust and only one stud came out. I did not try and remove the others yet. Crossmember is removed too.

Next step, the front cover. I can get off my back for a little bit at least now.
Obviously I just went through this and will be watching your thread to provide helpful tips if you run into trouble. Feel free to IM me if needed.

Brendon H (12-27-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 04:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,461 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I am having to do a head gasket job on one of mine- broke my old record for disassembly today - 2 1/2 hrs to heads off and everything in the parts washer. Helps that I was the last one in this engine. Will be interesting to see how long it takes me for re-assembly. My previous best was 8 hrs going back, but this should be faster because I should not have to tap all the bolt holes since I did it on this one last time.

Weird thing about this one - wife started it one morning and it was missing bad on cyl. 7 and pouring white smoke. Confirmed with a cooling system pressure test, leaked so bad hydrolocked that cyl (pulled the plug to vent). Gasket shows no obvious blown section. I guess I will pressure test the block, but there was no overheat situation on this iteration of the head gaskets and cooling system was full on the morning she had the problem.

Brendon H (12-30-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 10:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
I am having to do a head gasket job on one of mine- broke my old record for disassembly today - 2 1/2 hrs to heads off and everything in the parts washer. Helps that I was the last one in this engine. Will be interesting to see how long it takes me for re-assembly. My previous best was 8 hrs going back, but this should be faster because I should not have to tap all the bolt holes since I did it on this one last time.

Weird thing about this one - wife started it one morning and it was missing bad on cyl. 7 and pouring white smoke. Confirmed with a cooling system pressure test, leaked so bad hydrolocked that cyl (pulled the plug to vent). Gasket shows no obvious blown section. I guess I will pressure test the block, but there was no overheat situation on this iteration of the head gaskets and cooling system was full on the morning she had the problem.
Doesn't have to be a cracked block (or cracked heads). Can be warped heads (or block) that just needs milling.

Heck, might just be a loose head bolt.

Last edited by No Doubt; 12-28-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

If you remove your exhaust headers, you'll see the contact lines embedded in the headers that reveal the head exhaust ports.

I wish that I had dremmelled mine out to match those lines. Free power to port your exhaust that way.

Old 01-01-2020, 03:51 PM
Drifting

So it took a call to my mobile mechanic friend and his impact gun got that last bolt off no problem.

Went and dropped the oil sump then the front cover. I've been cleaning and cleaning and cleaning.

I'm stuck now on the oil filter head, i was able to remove the 4 bolts but it just spins and doesn't make any progress towards coming off. Anyone take this off and have some advice>?

Old 01-01-2020, 04:31 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

So it took a call to my mobile mechanic friend and his impact gun got that last bolt off no problem.

Went and dropped the oil sump then the front cover. I've been cleaning and cleaning and cleaning.

I'm stuck now on the oil filter head, i was able to remove the 4 bolts but it just spins and doesn't make any progress towards coming off. Anyone take this off and have some advice>?
Why are you trying to take that apart?

Old 01-01-2020, 04:33 PM
Drifting

I was following the manual for the oil pump.

Is this not necessary?

Old 01-01-2020, 04:38 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

The filter adapter does not need to come off to replace the oil pump.
Just remove the phillips head machine screws holding the round plate inside the timing cover.
The 2 planetary gears behind it will lift out.

Brendon H (01-01-2020)

Quick Reply: Hilma - Head Gasket Replacement