Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy Snap...$1,700 '01 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Holy Snap...$1,700 '01 Disco II

So I'm driving some 400 miles to pick up a 2001 Disco II for $1,700 bucks, right? I have to tow it with my...ahem...1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ *Covers head*. The thing needs a transmission (maybe just the casing, I don't know) but this was just too sweet of a deal to pass up. I mean, even with a bad transmission, a Disco II for $1,700. Holy crap. My problem is that my Jeep only has a Class I hitch, and I don't feel like riding 400 miles in a Land Rover being towed with a strap. I'd be willing to tow it with a dolly, but I'd be worried that the ball or the hitch would break off, then we'd have some serious problems. I would have a class 2 hitch installed, but then I wouldn't have the money to go buy the Disco. So I'm at my wits end. The closest thing I have to collateral is my 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix, but I would rather not sell that.

Would you guys risk renting a tow dolly, or just say screw it, and get a strap?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I will be the first to tell you what you already know, but don't want to admit to yourself. WTF Dude! Don't tow it with a strap, at the very least your in for some damage or a fine, or both. Even worse, hurt or kill someone. 400 miles? really?? and a class 1 is only rated for 2000# GVW and 200# tongue. That LR is almost 6000#. I hate to bust your bubble but if you don't have the cheese to tow it home legally and SAFELY, it is likely that it will sit in your yard as a $1700 lawn ornament. What else is wrong with it?

Old 02-27-2009, 06:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The transmission and the battery are it. He hit a large piece of debris and punched a hole in the transmission. Transmission is $900. I had brakes put on the Jeep yesterday morning, and saw the Rover yesterday night, otherwise, I'd have the 'cheese' for a hitch. I think I'll take my chances. Thanks for the advice.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't tow a Disco on a dolly it's 4 time 4 wheel drive.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:56 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You can tow a Disco on a dolly but it requires removing at least the rear drive shaft. Where did you find a transmission for $900? That's really cheap for a Disco tranny. That is definitely a good deal if the battery and transmission really are the only problems. I am guessing that if they managed to destroy the transmission which is one of the toughest parts on a Rover they did other damage as well.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the owner's manual it is written that you can tow a Disco on a dolly but you have to put the t-case on the neutral position. Not sure about the class 1 hitch though...

Old 02-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

taking alot of risks with alot of money at stake, here is how I would resolve your dilema, look at the possibilities of what could go wrong and weigh in the consequences of those things, for example you get busted by the man for an illegal tow now not only do you have fines (not sure what those are but lets say $200, plus another $100 for the impound tow, plus another what $50 a day or more for the impound lot storage fee's) then the only way that truck is leaving the impound lot is on a tow truck, so how much for the tow? I would say it depends on how far you made it!) now if you manage not to get busted what if something goes wrong with the tow itself? tow strap breaks, now you could have damage done (not to mention what the 6000lb rover is going to do as it rolls away from you uncontrollably!) and then your in the same situation as before, still have to pay a tow truck to tow it home. if it was 100 miles or less then maybe the risk would be worth it you would be close enough that if something went wrong you could probably find a reasonable solution but 400 miles think about it at most (and your pretty crazy to go this fast) you would do what 50 MPH on the highway towing this thing? thats 8 hours of time for something to go wrong. I wouldn't do it!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You can tow a disco(1 or 2) on a dolly with the transfer case in neutral. BTDT, no adverse effects. Anyone that says you can't doesn't know what they're talking about. If I was going to tow it any further than across town, I'd pull the rear driveshaft as an extra precaution.

As far as the weight of the tow vs class of the hitch, you know the risk there. If the hitch fails, you've got a 3 ton wrecking ball on the loose. With a tow dolly, the tongue weight is going to be negligible, which is in your favor. However, the towed weight it far beyond the rating of a class I hitch, and brakes on the dolly are a must. In truth, I would probably just do it in your situation (provided the dolly has surge brakes) but I would never have bought a class I hitch in the first place.

Last edited by squirt; 02-27-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

another option may be this, triple a (or AAA) wont tow an unregistered vehicle, however if you were to work out something with the current owner and he may be willing to sit on the vehicle for a few days you could buy the truck, get it registered, pick up AAA plus (I believe they tow up to 400 miles) tell them your buddy had the truck and broke it and now you need it towed home from his house. Maybe a solution, not sure how much AAA costs or all the legalities on registering that truck (this may not work if it needs an inspection first). I would look at all aspects of this and see what you can do, AAA may tow vehicles with temp tags, and you may want to tow it out to the street before you call them.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:00 AM
TReK

that XJ only weighs about 3,400lbs and the disco weighs 5,000...don't plan on trying to stop in a hurry.

Quick Reply: Holy Snap...$1,700 '01 Disco II