Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy Snap...$1,700 '01 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

guess I was a bit quick to jump to the AAA suggestion last time I had AAA was years ago and back then they would tow you once up to 400 miles now it is only 200 if you have the $130 premiere package! not much help, used to be alot better and cheaper!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:18 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe you can get AAA to tow you 200 miles...wait for a few hours..call again and get them to tow you 200 more miles lol

Old 02-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by squirt
You can tow a disco(1 or 2) on a dolly with the transfer case in neutral. BTDT, no adverse effects. Anyone that says you can't doesn't know what they're talking about. If I was going to tow it any further than across town, I'd pull the rear driveshaft as an extra precaution.

As far as the weight of the tow vs class of the hitch, you know the risk there. If the hitch fails, you've got a 3 ton wrecking ball on the loose. With a tow dolly, the tongue weight is going to be negligible, which is in your favor. However, the towed weight it far beyond the rating of a class I hitch, and brakes on the dolly are a must. In truth, I would probably just do it in your situation (provided the dolly has surge brakes) but I would never have bought a class I hitch in the first place.
That is terrible advice. Having it in neutral just means it isn't attached to the tranny. Your front and rear driveshafts are still linked together with a differential. It would be like having only one tire on your back axle on the ground. Syre, it might be fine in town as slow sppeds, but you get on the highway and boom. You need to figure out how things work before you post again.

Think we all know why you are parting out your 98........

Old 02-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know about a 97 but the debris that caused the hole in the tranny, is it spelled front driveshaft - ujoints?

Old 02-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by tornado_735
The transmission and the battery are it. He hit a large piece of debris and punched a hole in the transmission. Transmission is $900. I had brakes put on the Jeep yesterday morning, and saw the Rover yesterday night, otherwise, I'd have the 'cheese' for a hitch. I think I'll take my chances. Thanks for the advice.

You also need a new front driveshaft, this is the #1 reason a DII needs a new transmission, bad design.
The front DS is only about 2" from the transmission and when the double cardon joint breaks the heavy spinning double cardon joint slambs into the side of the tranny and punches a hole into the trans casing.

As for using a tow strap, with somebody sitting in the Rover with the engine running they would have power brakes, ok for across town but no way in hell for 400 miles.
And it is not even legal to tow a car with a strap on the expressway.

As for the tow dolly, you will be towing more than what your towing vehicle weighs, not a good idea. When you try and turn a corner what you are pulling will push your back end our from under you and you will wind up in the ditcvh in a heap of scrap metal and blood.

www.budget.com, www.uhaul.com, and rent a truck and trailer.
Or call a friend with a full sized pickup, or rent a full sized pickup from www.enterprise.com or www.ryder.com and then rent a car dolly.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be buying two tranny's. One for your new disoc and one for your Jeep.
We all now how cheap Jeep tranny's are or at least i do!

5000lb in-tow not done the right way is a terrible idea. Call a tow company and shop around for prices. I'm sure they can do it for lesser than you think...

Old 02-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by squirt
You can tow a disco(1 or 2) on a dolly with the transfer case in neutral. BTDT, no adverse effects. Anyone that says you can't doesn't know what they're talking about. If I was going to tow it any further than across town, I'd pull the rear driveshaft as an extra precaution.

As far as the weight of the tow vs class of the hitch, you know the risk there. If the hitch fails, you've got a 3 ton wrecking ball on the loose. With a tow dolly, the tongue weight is going to be negligible, which is in your favor. However, the towed weight it far beyond the rating of a class I hitch, and brakes on the dolly are a must. In truth, I would probably just do it in your situation (provided the dolly has surge brakes) but I would never have bought a class I hitch in the first place.
Yaa thats what I did I towed a KIA to Minasotta from Arizona and then back again, but all I did was unhooked one side of the rear drive shaft from the rear axl and straped it really well to the frame.
I will say this dont back up on a tow dolly your car twist off of it! Just keep telling your self "DONT BACK UP DONT FORGET"

Old 02-28-2009, 04:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha ha, I am the proud owner of a 2001 Land Rover Discovery SE7!!!!! Albeit a broken Disco, but a disco nonetheless. And the broken u-joint (Front driveshaft, rear u-joint) would seem to be the ticket. I looked underneath, and the driveshaft had just beat the hell out of the side of the transmission. Left a hole about the size of a silver dollar. I was also wrong about my hitch. It is a fixed tongue, but it is plainly stamped "3,500lbs". And I rented a U-Haul dolly. I had previously looked it up, so I told them I was towing my Grand Prix. Dishonest? Maybe, but it got me the dolly. I got one the road about 8am, got back just about an hour ago.

The XJ did just fine. Got a little sluggish going through the mountains, but on flat ground, didn't have any problems. Judging by the amount of brake dust on my front rims, I'm gonna need front brakes again soon. The Disco runs awesome, and the battery just needs a good charge. The ignition switch is sticky, but I found one of those on eBay for $60. The guy who quoted me $900 is in Kentucky. I found him on craigslist. It was actually $900 for both the tranny and the driveshaft, with free shipping. Couldn't argue with that.

So, she's a work in progress. I'd rather her be a $1700 lawn ornament for a month in my yard than somebody elses...:-)

Old 02-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

glad to hear you got it home safely without any problems.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats and good on ya, I remember when I was young, noone could talk me out of doing things in an imperfect way. A few times it bit me in the ****, but 95% of the time it worked out just fine. The point is, if you always wait for perfect, you'll miss out on a lot in life. It's worth the few screwups along the way to take the chance to chase your dreams. I'm glad you got it home safely and in one piece. Enjoy your new disco!

Quick Reply: Holy Snap...$1,700 '01 Disco II