Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade bumper installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks pretty badass. I think it would be cool to have it painted to resemble the stock bumpers. Have the sides with the fog lights painted white, and then you could do a textured black like bedliner or even plasti dip in the center grill area,

Old 02-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Maybe I'm thinking of RRCs that have the sensors in/near the front frame horns?
That's where they are on the D1, about a foot or so from the end of the chassis rail.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks really good man, I like it a lot!

Old 02-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I just finished putting on my TF 2'' lift with D1 coil seats. Took me about 6 hours. I was pleasantly surprised to not find any rusted bolts or nuts. Only had a problem with the driver's side sway bar link. Broke a star bit trying to get it back on, and will need to get another to finish tightening it up. Took the bumper back off too, and have it primed with one coat of black satin on it so far. Hopefully, it won't rain tomorrow so I can finish it up. It looks really good so far though. Rear bumper will be here Monday, and I will put a coat of the same satin on it to match the front. D-rings should be here within a week or so. Love the lift, rides much firmer. The old shocks had zero rebound.

Last edited by MC04DII; 02-09-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks good. I like the bedliner coating idea.

However, with all of the Discos in the junkyards, I'd think a salvage bumper would be dirt cheap. Why go to all of the effort?

Old 02-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam

However, with all of the Discos in the junkyards, I'd think a salvage bumper would be dirt cheap. Why go to all of the effort?
I use it off road and wanted a bumper that I could have recovery points on. For the price I got it I paid as much or less than I would have for a used bumper plus I can part the old one out. At least the painted pieces.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Can they make another 2 bumpers like it? I am on the mobile app, so can't see where you are located.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
Can they make another 2 bumpers like it? I am on the mobile app, so can't see where you are located.
I'm in Birmingham, AL. I'm sure they could but shipping would be expensive, and I'm not sure they would go through the trouble to do all that at least not at that same price. It was a small, maybe 10,000 sq ft shed as the shop. Nothing fancy.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam

Also, for the most part the only D2's that are in junkyards, are the really really beat up ones (at least in my experience) and the D2 front bumper wasn't really made well in the first place, so its pretty tough finding a used one worth buying, and if you plan on doing anything with your truck, your probably going t break it again anyways.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

When you finally get a chance to finish the paint, can you post new pictures below the unpainted picture on the first post? It would be nice to see them there when you first hit this post.

Quick Reply: Homemade bumper installed!!