Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Blackout

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Blackout

I've already decided to go the paint option, but my question is should I try a matte clear coat, or matte black paint? I'm thinking the matte clear coat so I can see the factory paint, if I don't like it I can go over it with the matte black. I'm not too concerned about getting the flattest color unless there is a big difference between the amount of "flatness" between the two options. I've read SEM paint is a good option. Any recommendations for a tough yet flexible matte clear coat?

Thanx,

-D2G

Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Hood Blackout

Why are you wanting to paint your hood?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:32 AM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He wants to reduce glare. The sad thing is the only real way is with a really matte surface like a bedliner. I'd put on some kind of sticker first to prove it, even the matte finishes I've seen reflect a whole lot of light.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Mudding

Don't bother. If you want to give it a test run, by Spray on Bra from www.griotsgarage.com. It goes on pretty easy and peels off if you decide it doesn't do what you want it to do. The stickers don't do much for reducing glare. I'd only do a blackout on a white or silver hood. Even then, I only did it because I have lights on my rack that lit up my hood a bit.

Try the spray on bra before you go nutty with paint.

.....and get those darn side steps off there. No sense in trying to make your Disco "look" more off roady if it clearly isn't.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah, the side steps are more for my girlfriend. She's not quite 5'1" (I'm 6'5") and didn't like the climb in before the side steps were on. I'm still figuring out when is a good time (i.e. enough $$) to start throwing on a lift and bigger tires. That's a hard sell to the g/f. The Disco2 is our only vehicle, so I need to ease her into the idea of dropping the side steps AND adding 2"-3" of lift. I want to do it soon, but will probably need to wait till after the new year because of a family trip to Maui for Christmas ($$!!).

-D2G

Old 11-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Mudding

My wife is 5'3" and she gets in our DII with 2.5" lift and 31" tires with not much fuss. It's a wee bit high, but the trade off is very obvious to her when we hit the off roads of Southern Colorado. We don't wheel for the sake of wheeling, as it's kinda boring sometimes. Our Disco is for accessing remote locations and exploring way off the beaten pathways. A well kitted DII can reach places most vehicles can't

So you know, a stock DII is not very capable off road. The clearance is pretty poor. Those side steps have essentially taken the weakness of a stock DII and amplified that weakness. If you toss $800 in a good lift, you'll only improve the clearance to that of a stock DII without side steps. That's my point. Don't waste money on a lift until you address the side step issue. And you might want to reconsider the brush guard for off roading. Those were made for looks more than function.