Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Woes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:44 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Woes!

Well, I own a 2000 Disco II w/ 185,000 miles (Purchased within last month.) The vehicle has several issues that I am tackeling 1 at a time (Three Amigos, Hesitation, Coolant Leaks, you get the idea). The next item on my list was to replace the accessory belt and tensioner pulley. I've noticed a considerable amount of noise from what seems to be the power steering pump. The noise is similar to that of a power steering system w/ air in it, but is not as audiable. I checked fluid and topped off (does look as if it should be changed), butthe fluid was not that low. Well I was driving home one evening and I lost power steering and the battery light came on. "Oh no, I lost the accessory belt!" I thought. I turned the climate control off and the battery light went out, but steering issues would come and go. I was also getting a driveline clunk when making sudden moves w/ the steering wheel to the left and the right. I made it home and checked the belt, whichwasstill intact and operating.I ordered the power steering pump and am currently waiting for it to arrive. The problem had not happened again for several days until tonight.

I've picked up so much knowledge about this vehicle from this website, and am hoping to get some input.

Is the steering pump, locking up and releasing causing the belt to slip, thus causing the battery light to come on?

Is the clunking when making sudden movements of the steering wheel related?

HELP!

Old 11-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Power Steering Woes!

You should have flushed the fluid completely, Rover pumps don't like dirty fluid more then 30,000 miles old. Use Vavloine synthetic powr steering fluid and a bottle of Lucas power steering additive when you put the new pump on.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:34 PM
4wd High

Mike, I've already bought the Valvoline fluid and additive, per a previous post by yourself. The new pump should be to me this weekfrom Atlantic British. In your opinion, is the clunking that I am feeling a result of the pump failing or is there someother underlying issue going on?

Old 11-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Truthfully it could be the pump or there may be a second issue, I am thinking pump only though.
Make sure you flush the fluid again to get out any metal from the pump failure.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Three Wheeling

I just had my Power Steering Pump replaced and it was a hassle. I found out you have to have the tools that will allow you to remove the radiator fan. I ended up not being able to locate the tool to do this and just took it to an indie mechanic that had the tool. Took them about an hour to install and bleed the system.