Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Louvers...Good idea???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KBW
jycsalas....I haven't had any problems and am working on installing a real temp gauge but I read over and over about how many problems are caused in these rovers due to how hot they run. I do a lot of city stop, go, sit still driving and a lot of trails (this isn't my dd) so I'd like to keep the engine as cool as possible. I'm 90% sure I'm going to go ahead and do this.

Then you are doing it the right way. I would hate for someone to think this would cure their rising temp gauge issue during idle at a stop light!

I am very positive it would help some and since you may be doing it, you can be give us all the details.

Maybe you can do a before and after engine bay temp reading for us and take some pics. I am sure it will be a cooler reading but I wonder how much cooler for you. It will be different for everyone.

Also like Anti said, water would be the next issue. what can get wet under a hood when hot will determine where you locate them on the hood.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
I can't see on their web site any indication of how they prevent water from running in the vents on to your engine. Depending on where they are located, that could cause problems.
If you've got enough water coming over the hood to cause problems by running in through the louvers you've got bigger issues to deal with. Mainly you're trying to cross water that's too deep or you're going to fast. You're not going to get enough water in through the louvers just from rain to cause problems. I know that just because things work on other vehicles that doesn't mean they'll work on Rovers but louvers are pretty low tech and universal. If they can be used on other cars without problems they should work on Rovers also.

You'll get more water from under the truck than down through louvers.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have anything shiny and chrome on my rover so those side louvers would need to be black before i put them on... maybe then i would. I like them too.

DO BOTH! lol...

EDIT: Maybe if they were Zambezi silver or black.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
I can't see on their web site any indication of how they prevent water from running in the vents on to your engine. Depending on where they are located, that could cause problems.
Good point especially if you owned a D1, you would probably stall out with a wet ECU, now a D2, that is another story.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to get off subject. But has anyone ever built a box to isolate the ECU on a D1?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ColoDisco I was just gonna ask that. I've seen (expensive) relocations but a water proof isolation box for it might be a better option.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you install the vents facing backwards then rain water should in no way be an issue... if you install them facing forward though (like a hood scoop) then water would be forced into them at speeds, but even then i dont see it as being any super substantial amount of water, surely no more than comes from the underside when driving in heavy rain... and if you mounted them directly over your ecu, well, that would just look silly

Old 08-14-2009, 11:53 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good thread,,,

i was just pondering on this the other day.

after running my rig a bit i popped the hood to check the oil and its like a heat blast hits you.

i was either thinking of running the side vents from a LR3 or doing some sort of louver in the hood.

louvers make more sense when at slow speeds as the heat will rise up and out. the side vents make sense at speed. my F250 super duty has side vents and you can feel heat working its way out at a idle its not much flow unless you are at speed i imagine.

with the louvers i would mainly think about position of them over anything critical under the engine bay. electronics, ECU's etc. here in seattle the winter months we see LOTS of rain and i gotta think that a constant bombardment of water possibly making its way under the hood can have long term effects. but maybe not,,,

Old 08-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

i think the position of the louvers is important but i think where you live and the amount of rain you get should be the determining factor. I wouldn't have louvers if i still lived in Tampa fl. But then again i don't know if i'd own a rover there either....

I also don't think that louvers will work so well as to NOT "blast your face with heat" like sloppy joe and many of us experience. It all depends on where you live, how hot it gets, the kind of driving you do, how well your cooling system works, and what kind of wheeling you do.

One way to combat heat is to remove that darn under engine tray and toss it in the garbage.

or why don't we wrap our downpipes with exhaust wrap. Wouldn't that help?

http://www.exhaustwrapshop.com/default.aspx

Old 08-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jycsalas
or why don't we wrap our downpipes with exhaust wrap. Wouldn't that help?

http://www.exhaustwrapshop.com/default.aspx
i'm pulling the manifolds off my green rover tomorrow hopefully, mediablasting them in a small sandblast cabinet, and then probably wrapping them and installing them on the yellow rover... i will let everyone know how that goes

Quick Reply: Hood Louvers...Good idea???