Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood prop no more! How to get your hood prop out of the way forever.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 01:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Something like this even

Attached Thumbnails Hood prop no more! How to get your hood prop out of the way forever.-image.jpeg  
Old 03-25-2016, 08:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I like the prop on the side. It is as far away as possible from the manifolds and when you remove the hood it is easy to reach the self tapping screws (and not drop them).

Old 03-25-2016, 08:50 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thats my thoughts but u know what? It took me all of 1 minute to remove the hood which is only 40 seconds longer than opening it! ������ and 5 mins to reinstall!!! Lol

Old 03-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by dparham
Thats my thoughts but u know what? It took me all of 1 minute to remove the hood which is only 40 seconds longer than opening it! ������ and 5 mins to reinstall!!! Lol
I screw up so often I wish my hood was held on with clothespins, gravity, magnetism, mental suggestion, bungee cords, slip knots, or just surface tension for ease of access! In fact, since my ARB juts out so far a hinge forward design would be best! Where's Alex? He could fix that up.

Time to take off and reinstall is definitely a consideration.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-25-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:15 AM
Winching

haha I just did and replaced my hood with a black hood now it has a nice 2 time look! took 5 minutes to remove old and replace new!

Old 03-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Been a few days, but I'm back. Looks like there's a lot of activity here! Some neat ideas. As far as the prop mod goes, I really still like the single 60 lb prop. If you're going double, definitely don't double up on 60s. I'd do double 30s. I'm still rocking the single 40 with no hood liner and no intent of changing it any time soon. I do like the style with the gas prop right at the hinge, but if you do that you'll need a much stronger and much shorter prop. Also, like Charlie said, harder to install by a little, and its definitely good having the prop farther from the hot manifolds. Doubly so from my uncoated long tube headers which put out heat like you wouldn't imagine. If you really wanted to go that route, just retrofit some of the spring style Silverado hinges. You'll just have to drill new holes in the hinges I believe. Maybe weld a piece of plate on them to drill the holes in. I can't exactly remember.

Charlie, flip down bumper is no problem! Instead of bolts, use trailer hitch style pins, but longer. Then cut the top section out of the frame mount and weld yourself a hinge on the bottom. Haha. As far as a swing forward hood, you don't want that evil, Ricky Bobby. That would make any repairs in the front a royal pain in the ***.

Love the look of the black and red. It's pretty sick, very nice looking truck.

Last edited by Alex_M; 03-25-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Been a few days, but I'm back. Looks like there's a lot of activity here! Some neat ideas. As far as the prop mod goes, I really still like the single 60 lb prop. If you're going double, definitely don't double up on 60s. I'd do double 30s. I'm still rocking the single 40 with no hood liner and no intent of changing it any time soon. I do like the style with the gas prop right at the hinge, but if you do that you'll need a much stronger and much shorter prop. Also, like Charlie said, harder to install by a little, and its definitely good having the prop farther from the hot manifolds. Doubly so from my uncoated long tube headers which put out heat like you wouldn't imagine. If you really wanted to go that route, just retrofit some of the spring style Silverado hinges. You'll just have to drill new holes in the hinges I believe. Maybe weld a piece of plate on them to drill the holes in. I can't exactly remember.

Charlie, flip down bumper is no problem! Instead of bolts, use trailer hitch style pins, but longer. Then cut the top section out of the frame mount and weld yourself a hinge on the bottom. Haha. As far as a swing forward hood, you don't want that evil, Ricky Bobby. That would make any repairs in the front a royal pain in the ***.

Love the look of the black and red. It's pretty sick, very nice looking truck.
How did I know you'd already have a plan for hinging everything? I knew.

I'm just going to drop a 350 in and JB weld the hood to the fenders.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:22 PM
Camel Trophy

I'm all about easy access!

Just be sure to leave a hole to pour oil in, that's all you really need. Haha

Old 03-25-2016, 02:29 PM
Winching

well my 60 lb prop arrived and for the darned of me, I cannot compress this thing! is there a secrete? no instructions as expected from new products these days loll a big enough boy I can compress 60lb with with just my grip! so I'm not sure whats going on!

Last edited by dparham; 03-25-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:05 PM
Camel Trophy

Do you have it on yet? It's hard for me even to compress the 40 alone, but on the hood its like hot butter.

Quick Reply: Hood prop no more! How to get your hood prop out of the way forever.