Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn/Cruise/SRS light issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:57 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn/Cruise/SRS light issues

Ok, so I just bought a 1999 Disco II with 108k miles on it. I thought I got a pretty good deal, after lurking here for months and checking for issues. I knew going into it that the power steering pump was bad. So I dropped it off at my mechanic, and since then I have had to replace the pump, then the steering gearbox. Then it wouldn't start, so he replaced the starter. Now, I just picked it up and the horn and cruise control won't work. And the SRS light is on.

I know the horn and cruise are on the same fuse, after reading that here. So I pulled the fuse under the hood for the horn, but it was not blown. Is there a fuse under the steering wheel that controls these two? The diagram doesn't show one for the horn or the cruise? So which fuse is it? What could possibly be killing these two things? Any help is greatly appreciated as I am ready to set this thing on fire!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by sratican; 11-09-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you lost all three at once, I would say the rotary coupler (spiral cassette) has gone bad.

Eric

Old 11-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sratican
Now, I just picked it up and the horn and cruise control won't work. And the SRS light is on...Any help is greatly appreciated as I am ready to set this thing on fire! Thanks in advance!
Wait, slow down sratican...unless you have very good insurance and another ride, hold off on setting it on fire...I would take it back to the shop that put the starter in explain that the horn, cruise control and SRS was working fine before you dropped it off (if that was the case) and make them fix it. The horn and cruise control could be a fuse, but the cruise control could also be a vacuum hose disconnected under the bonnet (gotta love that Queen's English).

You will be glad to hear that the SRS is an easy fix. First, take a compressed air can, like what you would use if you are dusting off electrical or computer equipment. Spray like hell into all seat belt locking mechanisms in the truck and then buckle and unbuckle each belt a dozen times or so.

Then, look in the back of the drivers seat underneath and look for a black velcro pouch holding an electrical connector. Spray some more compressed air into the connector and then get some dielectric grease and apply it to the connector before snapping it back together. Put it back into the black velcro pouch.

BTW...if you have not done it yet, rebuild your front drive shaft with greaseable parts or you may need to add a new transmission to your list of things to fix.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:43 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Mwindth... I called the shop, told them it worked when I dropped it off and they said they can squeeze me in sometime next week. So I took to the forums and fournd that it is probably a fuse, but I checked the horn fuse under the hood and it is fine. So I was just wondering if there was another fuse? Maybe something that also contributes to the cruise? I looked at my shop manual and it said F30, but I checked that fuse and it's fine. So I am kind of lost.

The front drive shaft.... how hard is it to rebuild? I've never done that before, so should I attempt it or pay the shop to do it?

I greatly appreciate everyone's input! I have a feeling this is going to be a love hate with this Rover. She better be worth it when I take her on the back mountain roads to ski!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sratican
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Mwindth... I called the shop, told them it worked when I dropped it off and they said they can squeeze me in sometime next week. So I took to the forums and fournd that it is probably a fuse, but I checked the horn fuse under the hood and it is fine. So I was just wondering if there was another fuse? Maybe something that also contributes to the cruise? I looked at my shop manual and it said F30, but I checked that fuse and it's fine. So I am kind of lost.

The front drive shaft.... how hard is it to rebuild? I've never done that before, so should I attempt it or pay the shop to do it?

I greatly appreciate everyone's input! I have a feeling this is going to be a love hate with this Rover. She better be worth it when I take her on the back mountain roads to ski!
Hey sratican...it might be your actual horn button on the steering wheel that is fouled-up somehow as well...beyond checking fuses and vacuum hoses for the cruise control, I do not know...maybe Spike or Mike can chime in.

As far as your front drive shaft, buy the parts, have a driveline shop re-build it ($150-250 total with parts) and grease it every 5K miles. IMO, this is one of those repairs that if you do it everyday and have the correct tools (like a driveline shop), you will fine. But if you have no experience in re-building a drive shaft, it can be a bitch (do a simple search and read some of the comments). Check this thread at the bottom for all the info you will need: https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26352

But, I can write this with confidence, she will be worth when you take her on the back mountain roads to ski