Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horriable shake When in Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:14 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horriable shake When in Gear

Hello everyone! My name is Caleb, and I have been an avid reader of This forum since the purchase of my 02 Disco II, 2 years ago. I have never posted before, because my baby ran good, and there are a lot more people on here that know way more than I do.
Anyways here is my problem. About 2 months ago I threw a code, and it turned out to be a misfire of two cylinders (4+8 I think), anyways I ran some fuel injector cleaner through my system, and cleared the codes, and she was running fine.
About two days ago, I started her up and backed out of my driveway and hear a huge “CLUNK”. I didn't think much of it, maybe I hit a cat or something. Well I put it in drive and the whole car started shaking. The Disco Shook very bad until I hit about 200 RPM and it shifted to second. After I speed up the shaking goes away, but there is a horrible ticking sound. I hear it the best when I'm driving next to a concrete separator. I hear this high tick when I press on the gas. I've dropped it into neutral going onto an off ramp and the car runs like it should. Also in Neutral, I can rev her up, and she runs like she should, no knock, no shake, nothing. Its only when I go into gear.
I've searched through some posts, and seen that maybe the drivetrain is having problems, but it almost sounds like a tranny issue to me. Do you guys have any idea where i should start looking. I've got new plugs to put in, but I really don't think that is going to fix this issue.
The shake is so bad, it knocked my GPS off my dash.
Oh yeah, if I slow down to first gear (like at a stoplight) and accelerate, the shake comes back.
Thanks for taking the time to look at this, and any help would greatly be appreciated.
Caleb

Old 03-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Horriable shake When in Gear

Take it to a drivetrain shop today!!! It could be your double-cardon joint going bad, when it breaks it puts a hole the size of your fist in the side of your transmission, $7,000 repair.
Fix it before it breaks, $200 repair.
Not having your trk shake when you drive, priceless.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Stop driving it now!!! Don't move it another inch until you can crawl underneath and check the front driveshaft. If it has never been replaced, the U-joints or double cardon joint are probablyabout to go. If they do when you're driving, it'll knock a hole in your transmission that'll cost several thousand to fix.

Dave

Old 03-27-2008, 06:53 PM
4th Gear

I was talking to a local landy owner, and he said it might be the u joint. I have noticed it started pulling to the right side a couple of weeks ago. And I checked my tire pressure and that was good. Just for an Idea, does anybody know how much a double-cardon joint or u-joint replacement cost?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

$200 and have it towed there. If it breaks, you are looking at $7K to replace the transmission and possibly the transfer case....

Again, do not drive it anymore.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: cgullett

I was talking to a local landy owner, and he said it might be the u joint. I have noticed it started pulling to the right side a couple of weeks ago. And I checked my tire pressure and that was good. Just for an Idea, does anybody know how much a double-cardon joint or u-joint replacement cost?
U-joints will not cause a vehicle to pull one direction. Might want to check for a tire with separated tread, an alignment issue or a brake caliper that is stuck.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Rock Crawling

a co-worker wants me to buy his Disco I with this same issue. I have not seen the thing yet so i don't have a clue, but is this a problem for the D I's or just D II's.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: khuds308

a co-worker wants me to buy his Disco I with this same issue. I have not seen the thing yet so i don't have a clue, but is this a problem for the D I's or just D II's.
The double-cardon issue is only with DII's.
Take your co-workers trk to a mechanic and have it looked at before you even thing about buying.