Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot start issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Hot start issues

So I just changed out the coolant reservoir last week and now another issue has reared it's ugly head. Hard hot starts. I've noticed it on and off over the past few weeks and today it alarmed me. I stopped at the post office to drop off a package and when I got back into Bertha she didn't want to start up. I'll go to turn the key and it sounds as if she's going to start up and then it fizzles out (almost like rolling over and playing dead). I have enough time to sigh and say 'why Bertha why?' and then I try again and she starts up no problem. Any ideas what part may be on the fritz or what the issue is? Unfortunately, I have absolutely no clue...

Old 07-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Crank position sensor on the way out, be my first guess
They tend to show their failure symptoms warm rather than cold

Old 07-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Dusty. On a level of 1 to 10 for an amateur, how hard is that to replace?..

Old 07-02-2014, 05:27 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Thanks Dusty. On a level of 1 to 10 for an amateur, how hard is that to replace?..
Hi Kernow, on a scale of 1-10 for an amateur it's about 5 but for anyone who's done one before I reckon about a 2. It's not difficult just a dirty job. It's a plug and play item as you can see but don't forget to disconnect your battery first and ensure you put the truck on axle stands NEVER work under the truck supported by a jack only (flat people are so unattractive) Good luck.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=disco...w=1280&bih=706

Old 07-02-2014, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

yep. I'd say it is a 2, since its straightforward. just a little cover with a couple of bolts and there it is un hook and swap. but.......

then there is the location. at the bottom/back of the engine on your nas drivers side. some cut a hole in the inner fender to make access. I have a very long reach and had was able to get to it pretty easily. access to the little guy is the task....so if have trouble accessing, I can see it being a 5

Old 07-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Dusty and Offroad. Wow. that sounds like a 8 in my books. Cutting a hole in the fender? (?!?) Hm... I'm hoping the matter will just go away but something tells me that it won't

I don't mind getting dirty (sidenote: I was behind a man in the grocery store yesterday that had a t-shirt on that said 'I make dirt look good' - what does that mean??? It could be taken 2 different ways..) so that's not a problem but do I need to learn how to speak French? Thanks for the link.

Bertha is testing me this month. I also have a headlight issue going on - I have to go and knock on the driver's side headlight to get it to come on. Silly things I know but when the LR is your DD, and you're a woman, these little issues become massive...

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 07-02-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks Dusty and Offroad. Wow. that sounds like a 8 in my books. Cutting a hole in the fender? (?!?) Hm... I'm hoping the matter will just go away but something tells me that it won't

I don't mind getting dirty (sidenote: I was behind a man in the grocery store yesterday that had a t-shirt on that said 'I make dirt look good' - what does that mean??? It could be taken 2 different ways..) so that's not a problem but do I need to learn how to speak French? Thanks for the link.

Bertha is testing me this month. I also have a headlight issue going on - I have to go and knock on the driver's side headlight to get it to come on. Silly things I know but when the LR is your DD, and you're a woman, these little issues become massive...
Personally, I've had good success with my Discovery so far (Knock on my Head). A Steering Pump leak, Sticky Gas Cap, Small Coolant Leak in Radiator, Door Locks, and maybe a few other minor issues.

But, these are Minor because I can fix them myself, and I really have no issue with being stranded along side the highway. I can imagine if it were my daily driver and I had to have others fix it, I might reconsider if it's a good idea to drive a Disco.

Now, if my Head Gaskets finally go, I'm going to be singing a different tune. I am actually considering selling it while it's still running perfectly, and before that happens. Only problem is that I've driven many other vehicles, and nothing compares in the way it feels, or comfort. I'm super picky about comfort for my daily driver.

The headlight issue is likely a broken filament in the bulb. Replace bulb, and problem will be gone. Other possibility is lose connection, clean, tighten, and reconnect. Some Auto Parts stores will change the bulb for you at no charge if you don't want to bother.

I haven't done the CPS, so cannot comment, other than to say that I hear a lot of grumbling from people who've done it, hard to reach, dirty, etc. IF it is the CPS, the matter will not go away, but rather will leave you stranded when you don't want to be.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

I don't mind getting dirty (sidenote: I was behind a man in the grocery store yesterday that had a t-shirt on that said 'I make dirt look good' - what does that mean??? It could be taken 2 different ways..)

at least, it didn't have an arrow pointing down on the back and saying "I make crack look sexy"

total guess, but I figure a shop will charge 1hr for the little guy.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I'll go to turn the key and it sounds as if she's going to start up and then it fizzles out (almost like rolling over and playing dead). I have enough time to sigh and say 'why Bertha why?' and then I try again and she starts up no problem.
Does the engine just turn over, and over? Or does it turn over for a short period, then stop turning over? "Fizzles out" sounds to me like it stops turning over...so you probably need a starter motor.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Personally, I've had good success with my Discovery so far (Knock on my Head). A Steering Pump leak, Sticky Gas Cap, Small Coolant Leak in Radiator, Door Locks, and maybe a few other minor issues.

But, these are Minor because I can fix them myself, and I really have no issue with being stranded along side the highway. I can imagine if it were my daily driver and I had to have others fix it, I might reconsider if it's a good idea to drive a Disco.

Now, if my Head Gaskets finally go, I'm going to be singing a different tune. I am actually considering selling it while it's still running perfectly, and before that happens. Only problem is that I've driven many other vehicles, and nothing compares in the way it feels, or comfort. I'm super picky about comfort for my daily driver.

The headlight issue is likely a broken filament in the bulb. Replace bulb, and problem will be gone. Other possibility is lose connection, clean, tighten, and reconnect. Some Auto Parts stores will change the bulb for you at no charge if you don't want to bother.

I haven't done the CPS, so cannot comment, other than to say that I hear a lot of grumbling from people who've done it, hard to reach, dirty, etc. IF it is the CPS, the matter will not go away, but rather will leave you stranded when you don't want to be.

Thanks SuperSport -

The headlight that has the issue is one that I replaced 2 years ago. Oddly enough, the passenger side headlight is still going strong (knock on wood) so who knows why it's on the fritz again. I'll look into it this weekend, thanks.

Luckily Traverse City isn't too large of a town that I would be stranded far from home if Bertha decided to 'conk out' on me. I've walked home before - wouldn't be the first time

As far servicing my own vehicle - I don't mind doing the work, it's just the confidence that I need to build up at times. The coolant reservoir seemed like a big deal but then when it was changed out I had a completely different perspective. Ihscouts lives in TC and worked on our vehicle for us last year - he basically did an overhaul on our engine - head gaskets, power steering rebuild, water pump, fan clutch, etc. so I was lucky there. He really helped us out in a pinch and his work was top notch. I know life keeps him busy, however, and I don't want to call and pester him so I'm trying to branch out on my own here.

I'm with you on the comfort comment and 'nothing compares in the way it feels'. I haven't found another vehicle that has the head room I love, the accessibility in the rear cargo area, the feeling of safety in the winter as I 'plow' thru the snow, just feeling protected, etc.. it's all there and I don't know of any other vehicle that compares, at least for me. I like the Honda Element but haven't test driven any and they don't make them anymore so it would be used as well. Although everything I've ever had was used

Again, not afraid of getting dirty with the CPS, if that is what it is. I used to work at a wastewater treatment plant and as much as I shouldn't admit this, one of the things I used to have to do was preventative maintenance on centrifugal and screw pumps. You can imagine the things I've dealt with - laying down on the concrete floor of a lift station after locking out a huge centrifugal pump that was experiencing water hammer, having to don a long rubber farm glove and reach up into the innards to remove all the fine bits and rags that came into the sewer line. And that was only one of the nasty things I have done in my lifetime I was once told by a man interviewing me that I was 'the office type - he couldn't see me out in the field doing the things that guys do' which I definitely took offense to. I don't LIKE getting dirty, but I don't mind it and will do so if it's required. I'm more scared of screwing something up

Quick Reply: Hot start issues