Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot start issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Well in the typical person's mind, that would be the logical thought SuperSport. Not so when it comes to Offroad
I'm definitely not a "Typical Person", but in this particular case, I took it literal. I must be slipping...

Old 07-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

.......................................but do I need to learn how to speak French? Thanks for the link.
Nah, don't worry about speaking French they don't or can't understand each other let alone us foreigners. Anyways, seeing some of the Brits here they think speaking French is just SHOUTING louder in English and the French will understand..................hmmm...............I don't think so.

Some days speaking in French all day just gets to you and is hard work and you can't wait to get away from them or just speak in English

Old 07-02-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by SuperSport
I'm definitely not a "Typical Person", but in this particular case, I took it literal. I must be slipping...
I think we are untypically like minded there. I don't think I can pass for typical either .................. or even normal ..............eeeerrr............what's CPS stand for SS?.......................

That aside, it's Dusty's humour..............it's great.............I love it.............he's a real hoot...................but I sometimes have to ponder awhile on those deep south expressions.............

Old 07-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
I think we are untypically like minded there. I don't think I can pass for typical either .................. or even normal ..............eeeerrr............what's CPS stand for SS?.......................

That aside, it's Dusty's humour..............it's great.............I love it.............he's a real hoot...................but I sometimes have to ponder awhile on those deep south expressions.............
Deep South??? With all the references to Guns, I thought he was from Chicago!

Old 07-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I would pull the terminals and clean the battery and terminals. Then check the charging system to make sure the alternator is producing enough volts. If so, drive it for another day or two.

If the problem continues, replace the starter.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

lol
"that little guy" = I always use in reference to anything around the size of a fist or smaller, that hasn't an everyday common name or even if it has a very descriptive but long name.
it has just become a habitual part of my vocabulary.

and for ss,

Old 07-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Since I have been watching a multi-day Broken Lizard movie fest, I appreciate your reference.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:22 AM

Hi there - no, it doesn't turn over and over, it starts turning over and then stops - like it couldn't.....quite................. get there. That's the only way I can describe it. It starts to turn over, decides that it's too pooped and then unwinds or fizzles out. So then I sit there, swear a bit, sigh, try again and it starts up fine.
Does sound like starter circuit electrics KD. Start with cleaning the battery terminals. If that doesn't work it may be something a bit deeper, bad earth strap connections or the 12v exciter connection to the starter motor (common fault where the spade connector is not making a good connection) or even a duff starter motor or at worst the battery is a cell down, even newish batteries fail. Might be worth a ampage load test at a local garage or auto electricians. It could even be the starter motor getting tired (bit like me) or the starter bendix sticking. I hate modern auto electrics - they're far too complicated for what they do.

Remember the old Series LR's, MGB and MGA? even a simpleton like me could figure their way through the electrical systems.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Deep South??? With all the references to Guns, I thought he was from Chicago!
He may be a reformed Chicago hood, or there again, even a preacherman now

Old 07-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks guys. I've been driving it the past few days with no issues. Checked the battery connections - they look fine. I'm changing the headlight today - probably the filament as you stated - still have to hit it to get it to work. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again for all the input

Quick Reply: Hot start issues