Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: Bleed the PAS Steering Box without making a big mess

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:43 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How To: Bleed the PAS Steering Box without making a big mess

I thought I would add this as the Rave instructions for bleeding the steering box makes a mess, wastes fluid and requires a second person to do it easily. What you need:

-A long (16-20") socket extension, if you don't have a long one connect 2 together
-11mm socket
-Ratchet
-2 quarts PAS fluid
-Funnel

1) Take off the fan shroud and locate the bleed screw on the top drivers side of the steering box, there may be a rubber plug on it, remove it. Crack the bleed valve open and the then leave it slightly tight. Practice putting the socket on the bleed screw without touching the fan or belt. Remember you will be doing this with the truck running and you don't want to break anything or lose an arm.

2) Top off the PAS fluid to above full, leave the funnel in the fill hole and have an open bottle of PAS fluid close to pour in if the level goes too low.

3) Put a pan under the steering box to catch any drips.

4) Start the truck and quickly check the PAS fluid level. If you are starting from empty you will have to top off up to full again.

5) Once full go back and turn the wheel back and forth to the steering stops twice and leave the wheel at one extreme. Check the level top off if needed.

6) With the truck still running carefully put the socket on the bleed valve and very slowly open it until you see fluid seep out from the socket. Close the valve quickly.

7) Go back and turn the wheel to the other steering stop and go back and repeat step 6.

9) Repeat 6,5, and 7 until your steering is no longer groaning (usually once more is all it takes).

10) Tighten the bleed valve, put the rubber stopper back on, replace the shroud and you are done.

Using this method you will only spill an ounce or 2 of fluid instead of a quart or 2 of fluid shooting the hose off the bleed valve and hitting the top off your hood like when using the Rave method.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed you mentioned a groaning sound while bleeding the pump. I've never replaced the PS pump or bled it, but I do occasionally have a groaning sound while turning at parking speed. Do you think that is an indication of air in the system and needing to be bled?

Old 09-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Instead of going through all that, buy 4 quarts of P/S fluid and a hand pump, suck out all the fluid from the reservor, refill and start the engine, turn the steering full left then right, turn of the engine and suck all the fluid out again. Do that 3 or 4 times and you will have good clean fluid, no air in the lines and no mess on the ground.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:47 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The how to is for when you have to replace the pump or steering and need to bleed the air out. If your pump is groaning try what mike said but it is probably the beginning of the end for the pump.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

thanks for the write-up. good ol' rave. my pas fluid sprayed all over the place, ricocheting off the inside of the hood and splattering everywhere. I spent more time cleaning than bleeding the system. But after wiping everything down with degreaser, it left my hoses with a nice sheen

Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
The how to is for when you have to replace the pump or steering and need to bleed the air out. If your pump is groaning try what mike said but it is probably the beginning of the end for the pump.
I hope not, but you're probably right.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Instead of going through all that, buy 4 quarts of P/S fluid and a hand pump, suck out all the fluid from the reservor, refill and start the engine, turn the steering full left then right, turn of the engine and suck all the fluid out again. Do that 3 or 4 times and you will have good clean fluid, no air in the lines and no mess on the ground.
Just completed this and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the how to Mike