Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change ignition switch on Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:23 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change ignition switch on Disco II

I just recently had someone get into my car because I was warming up the car and someone jumped in it an stole. Good news is that I got it back but the thief kept my ignition key which is not the same as my door key. Now I want to change the ignition key so he cant come back and get it again.

Could anyone help.....? I want to know if I can replace my current ignition switch with a new one from the junk yard, change the door handle and then go to the dealer to program that key to my car? Does anyone know if I need to change anything else in order for this to work or do I have to go to the dealer cause all they want is a lot of money.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Get ahold of Paul Grant on here. He'll have everything you need.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you do a search PG did a writeup last month or so on who to replace ignition switches

Old 11-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its pretty easy. This shows the process of extracting a broke key, but the first few steps show the switch removal. The safety screws on mine weren't even tight. Removed them with a regular pair of pliers, no chisel.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ock-fix-35422/

Old 11-19-2014, 03:16 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm supposed to have an '04 coming in tomorrow. If you want the ignition switch out of that truck, once I have a chance to check it out, it's all yours. I can also provide you with step by step instructions for removing your old switch and installing a new one.

PM me and we can go over the details.
Cheers,
Paul

Old 11-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well hey I'll take you up on that offer, cause this morning I saw a guy walking on the street by my truck and he looked back at, I called the police and reported it so I want to get this thing changed asap.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:07 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

I got your message over the weekend. Here's a step by step set of instructions for replacing the ignition switch.

1) Disconnect the battery. Do this anytime you are working on electrical parts on your truck.
2) With a flathead screwdriver, drop the panel beneath the steering wheel down. To do so just turn the two plastic buttons with the screwdriver.
3) Remove the steering column shroud. It's held in place with four Phillips head screws.
4) For ease of access, remove the styrofoam and metal protection from beneath the steering column. To do so you will need an E10 socket available at any good auto parts store. There are four bolts securing the styrofoam in place.
5) Follow the wiring from the left side of the ignition switch (black plastic round portion of the switch with 5 wires) down to the interior fuse box. First picture.
6) Remove the brown connector for the ignition switch at the fuse box. Second picture.
7) Remove the wiring from the white connector at the top right side of the ignition switch.
8) Remove the wiring from the bottom of the ignition switch. This one is tricky as you will need to insert a small flathead screwdriver inside the small metal frame to release the black connector. Third picture.
9) Take note of the two shear bolts on the top of the ignition switch that secure the switch to the steering column. Shear bolts are designed to break off the top portion when they are torqued properly leaving nothing behind to enable the bolt to be released. You have a few choices.
a) Use a chisel to rotate the bolts until then can be loosened by hand.
b) Use a small vise grip to rotate the bolts until they can be turned by hand.
c) Use a dremel to cut into the head of the shear bolt so you can then rotate the bolt like a screw to remove it.
10) With the bolts out and the wiring disconnected, the ignition switch should now pop off the steering column, ready for replacement.
11) For installing the replacement simply reverse the above instructions.

Keep in mind, you may be able to remove the long wiring from the left side of the ignition switch, running to the interior fuse box without going to the bother of also removing the styrofoam and metal protection plate (Step 4).

Attached Thumbnails How to change ignition switch on Disco II-img_0175.jpg   How to change ignition switch on Disco II-img_0176.jpg   How to change ignition switch on Disco II-img_0178.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Paul Grant:
drowssap (11-24-2014), Frankie (03-04-2016), realmccoy (07-18-2016)