Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change the trans fluid on a DII

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although this thread has been going for years now, I'll chip in my 2 cents. 1st, I changed my fluid and filter on my 02 Disco SE II this past weekend. Piece of cake with all the info. on this forum so TY. 2nd, be sure to not over tighten the bolts holding the pan up to the tranny as I learned the hard way and broke one off. Luckily it was on the side but still not fun backing it out and trying to find a replacement without the dealers help. The bolt wasnt the problem, it was finding the clip. Luckily I have a local guy that I get parts from so Ill go ahead and plug for him as he does ship anywhere. Buckhorn imports LLC in Clayton, NC. Joel is really cool to deal with and works with you immediately! Google him if your looking for a hard to find used part!

Old 10-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Mudding

While attempting to change my filter, I stripped two of the screws that require the "star attachment piece" (not sure what that's called). Any tips for retrieving these so I can actually change the filter? For now I will just refill the ATF until next weekend. Also, what is the quarter sized magnet? I got caught up and forgot where it came from.

Thanks for reading my maintenance 101 question. I've got very limited mechanical experience, and am learning as I go.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Should be a number 27 torx head bit for those screws if I remember correct. And the magnet needs to go inside your pan near the drain plug its purpose is to pull any metal flakes or ground bits out of your fluid and away from your gears.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by John Garcia
Should be a number 27 torx head bit for those screws if I remember correct. And the magnet needs to go inside your pan near the drain plug its purpose is to pull any metal flakes or ground bits out of your fluid and away from your gears.
Thanks John,

I've got the magnet back in but the torx screws are stripped, and I can't pull them out. I guess the only other option that I can think of would be to use then next size bit down, and hammer it in, then try to pull it out.

Someone stop me it that last part is just plain stupid.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

is the head of the screw stripped or where the screw tighten into the tranny? it just the screw head a couple of options are a small flat screwdriver inserted into the head of the screw or a small pair of locking needle nose pliers (vise grips) onto the head of the screw.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@texmbr,
Autozone shows that the TF-184 is not compatible, which is consistent with what Advance said about their filter too. Since you had posted another number, I just wanted to be certain. Is tf-184 the correct part for an '04 Disco 2?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Transmission overfilled?

Hey guys-

I changed my transmission fluid this weekend, using the direction in this post. It was pretty easy... the hardest part was pumping the new fluid in with my $7 pump!

After I drained and filled the fluid (shifting through gears etc.) I took the car for a drive, waited a few hours, and then reopened the fill plug to make sure the fluid was topped off. When I opened the fill hole transmission fluid started pouring out of it.

Is this normal, or could it be an indication that the transmission fluid is overfilled? I am doing a second fill this weekend to get even purer fluid and want to make sure everything is okay.

2003 Disco with 88K miles. About 4-5 quarts of fluid went in during the fill.

Thanks,

Dustin

Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by umwolverine
Hey guys-

I changed my transmission fluid this weekend, using the direction in this post. It was pretty easy... the hardest part was pumping the new fluid in with my $7 pump!

After I drained and filled the fluid (shifting through gears etc.) I took the car for a drive, waited a few hours, and then reopened the fill plug to make sure the fluid was topped off. When I opened the fill hole transmission fluid started pouring out of it.

Is this normal, or could it be an indication that the transmission fluid is overfilled? I am doing a second fill this weekend to get even purer fluid and want to make sure everything is okay.

2003 Disco with 88K miles. About 4-5 quarts of fluid went in during the fill.

Thanks,

Dustin
The fluid should have run out with the engine not running. The way to check the fluid level is to have the engine running, manually shift the trans through all the gears and then into park, leave the engine running, pull the fill plug and the trans fluid should run out in a small steady stream (RAVE describes it as a 2mm stream). If you read the original instructions in this post (I just did) it says the same thing except it doesn't specifically say "leave the engine running", but it also didn't say "shut the engine off". I can see where that could be a bit confusing. You might want to consider downloading the RAVE technical manual, it will have all the maintenance procedures in it.

Last edited by Bkreutz; 07-09-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:02 AM
Overlanding

Can you put too much transmission fluid in?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Not really, unless you have the front of the truck 4 feet off the ground I suppose...which isn't safe.

Quick Reply: How to change the trans fluid on a DII