Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change the trans fluid on a DII

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I'd recommend going back in for the filter, mine was black and had metal shavings in it. I took a dremel to the plastic pieces around the area, and used vice grips to remove the seized bolt.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

X2 on the filter. But I don't understand why our esteemed shutterbug whipped this job but said thermostat and rad swap was something he would not handle himeself...

Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Camel Trophy

Haha come on Savannah, cut me some slack! I'd be happy to do most jobs, but if I do them myself there's not a huge chance of me using my overly expensive camera equipment with coolant and grime all over me.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Disposable gloves. Actually I have a small Lumix that is "assigned" to vehicle repair duties. I love all the photos members submit, real world pix instead of the "factory fresh" ones in the RAVE.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Camel Trophy

Yeah but some of my repairs are quite questionable

Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

I am just about to do the transmission fluid and filter change. I happened to come across this video which is very useful.... thought it would be great to share on this sticky:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm torn, as to whether to take advice from "it just said 8 on it; I don't really know what size it is...". :-}

Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it is the same as changing the oil in your engine and not do changing the oil filter,
your pissing in the wind.

Last edited by drowssap; 03-28-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:00 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Changing the transmission fluid on any car or truck is a vital part of preventative maintence.
Read your owners manual but it is generally recommended that you change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles and the filter every 60,000 miles.
By doing this cheap preventative maintence you can help insure a long and healthy life for your transmission.

Here we show how to change it on a 2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II.
Land Rovers use Dexron III, try and buy a name brand and have 6 quarts on hand for this, 8 quarts for when you change the filter too.

You will need a 8mm allen wrench for the fill/check plug and a 5mm allen wrench for the drain plug.

[IMG][/IMG]

The drain plug is on the bottom of the transmission oil sump and the fill/check plug is on the front of the transmission sump.

[IMG][/IMG]

Remove the fill/check plug and then place your drain pan under the transmission sump and remove the drain plug.

Once all of the fluid has drained out clean the area around the drain plug and make sure that you clean the drain plug threads and that the washer is still in place.

Then using a hand pump such as this that you can buy at any store for around $10 US refill the transmission.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pump the new transmission fluid into the fill/check hole until it starts to come out of the hole, replace the plug.
Start the truck and shift though all of the transmission gears and hold each one for 2-3 seconds, starting in park and continue until you reach 1st, then go back to park.
Remove the fill/check plug and make sure that the transmission is full, fluid should come out at a nice steady rate, if so you are full.

Pour your dirty transmission fluid into a container and take it to be recycled, any quick lube oil change place will take it as well as autoparts stores.

Budget one hour for this job.

Spike,

Do you still have the pictures for this? I am more of a visual person.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Question as to fluids; traditional vs. synthetic. There's been postings about the effects of the use of a synthetic fluid (i.e., Mobil 1 ATF) and the effects of a lower friction coefficient on the clutch operation and torque converter lock up. Any input? Plan on doing a filter and fluid change out this weekend. Also...is there a simple way to drain the torque converter?

Quick Reply: How to change the trans fluid on a DII