Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

request for relay replacement how to

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default request for relay replacement how to

I haven't ever had to change a relay, and the RAVE manual (from what I can find) doesn't show how to replace them. I can't find a how-to that already shows how to change relays (although I have seen members counseled to change them). Maybe there is a how to already and I just can't find it.

My disco wipers don't work when it is cold on any of the "on" positions. I can get them to work if I push down, though, which is weird. I hear a clicking sound when I turn them on and they won't work, which I believe is the relay. Any help is appreciated!

Also, I have owned the disco for 8 days and already had to swap out the battery this AM. I am seeing my Land Rover ownership as a repairs lifestyle

Old 03-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, swapping out a relay is about as difficult as plugging a cord into a wall outlet. You pull the old one out and plug the new one in. LOCATING the relay in question is another story, but if you were to ask someone who knows these trucks in and out like Paul Grant or PT Schram they would probably explain in perfect detail where it is.

NOW,......what do you mean by they work when you push down? If this is anything like my DI it's probably a result of hard grease in the switch keeping the contacts apart. The grease in mine was like sticker residue, had to play with the switch and pray to get the wipers to stay on. I took mine apart and cleaned out the grease then relubed with fresh electrical grease. Works perfect now.

Pretty sure the relay is good if the wipers function at all. Might try some contact cleaner sprayed into the switch through where the stalk enters the switch body. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST!!!!! Use the little tube and blast it quick and operate the switch through it's range. Let it dry for half an hour and connect the battery and try it. Maybe it's yer lucky day?

Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Mudding

I am not concerned about the changing of the relay, I used to sell solid state relays in another lifetime, easy peasy. I just don't know where they are on this forum. I read another thread with similar issues, and the consensus was a bad relay, but no direction on doing so.
On my DII, when I twist end the wiper stalk, as you call it, toward the front of the truck, I can switch from intermittent, medium, and high. If I push the stalk downward toward the floorboard instead, the wipers will stay on as long as the stalk is depressed. I can always run the wipers this way, and no relay clicking occurs.
If anyone has photos of swapping these relays out, it might be helpful. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Oh I am so glad you have a D2. The RAVE download includes the shop manual, the circuits manual, and the electrical library, among others. So on the circuit diagram, you find the device, and look at the connector number. The look up the connector by number in the elecrical library. It has a color photo of the device, pin outs, color codes, and location.

But if you look at schematic, the "flick wipe" switch is just bypassing regular contacts in the stalk switch, not the relay contacts. So I would still be suspicious of the stalk switch. That wiper relay is part of the back of the fuse panel.

See attached page from your friend the RAVE (Rovers Are Very Exasperating). You'll want the whole set of manuals for yourself, free download in my signature (or see on-line, slower).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 wiper 1.pdf (722.7 KB, 128 views)
d2 wiper switch.pdf (465.8 KB, 97 views)
d2 back of fuse panel.pdf (574.1 KB, 103 views)
Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Real good possibility that it is not the relay buy the wiper switch that is causing your problem.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

And if you turn wheel 90 degrees you can get at it without pulling off the wheel it is said.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Mudding

Is there some type of trick to the RAVE manual? I downloaded and unzipped the file, but the files are all named very strangely and I have had to hunt for everything by clicking to open files. I see an autorun but when I click it it does nothing. Is the RAVE manual a program, or just a bunch of files?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

I don't like "shell" menu program, I go to directory "pdf", then to sub directory "LT" which is the set for the Disco 2. Couple of circuits manuals, and electrical library, five owner's manuals, some "intertainment" manuals, and the last "WM" is the workshop manual. Tell your significant other that you have some "Brit Lit" for bed time reading....