Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you change engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How do you change engine oil?

-
-
-
I know this is such a dumb question but I've been searching the threads with no clear cut steps. Again, I have never worked on anything before but just recently the spark plug job.

Here is what I did, read the owners manual and said to warm the car then pull the drain plug. My question is, isn't it dangerous to change oil when the engine is hot. From reading the threads, I purchased Mobil-1 10W40 Full Synthetic Oil High Mileage just now and also the K&N oil filter HP-3001.

Also is it something to be aware of that I have the High Mileage Oil for over 75k miles and my truck only has about 70k?

I realize there is a windshield oil change reminder sticker and the previous owner has been very religious in changing oil every 3 months. I past it by 2 months or 2k miles. The thing is, I average no more than 5k miles a year. So the Disco has been running 5W30. Is this a concern? Is it why it has a little hesitation in cold start because the oil is too thin for the summer? Maybe 5W30 is good for winter? Yes?

So I am wishing to have a step-by-step guidance for the oil change.

Here is my take on it, let me know if its wrong.
  • Leave the engine cold over night, not as the manual says, warm engine prior to change.
  • Locate the drain plug, I hope I could find it.
  • Loosen the plug and drop it into pan. Then search for it afterwards?And clean with carb cleaner or brake cleaner? D40?
  • Tighten plug back on.
  • Fill in 6 quarts of oil.
  • Then change oil filter
I need very specific details like Do I get an extra quart just in case, do I monitor the oil after a days drive and to add more if necessary. Where do I dispose the oil without hurting the environment?

I will ask more question as they come up. Thank you everybody!

P.S. Are there gain in power, smoothness or other improvements after installing Magnecor and +4 plugs? I can hardly tell the difference.

-
-
-

Old 07-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Uhh.... you don't have to let it sit over night. Just a few hours if you want it completley cool. Then remove the drain plug, let it drain, put it back on tight, remove the filter, pour some oil in the new filter and run a small bead of it around the rubber O-Ring before putting it on. Then move up top and put the 6 quarts in.

Start the engine, and check the oil level, with it running still.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
Uhh.... you don't have to let it sit over night. Just a few hours if you want it completley cool. Then remove the drain plug, let it drain, put it back on tight, remove the filter, pour some oil in the new filter and run a small bead of it around the rubber O-Ring before putting it on. Then move up top and put the 6 quarts in.

Start the engine, and check the oil level, with it running still
Pardon ? ..............never check engine oil level with it running, it will never be correct, the dipstick purely measures the depth in the sump and to get a true reading, the oil needs to be in there, not flowing around the engine.

its always better to drain engine oil when its still warm (not hot), as it flows down into the sump and out better.

Correct way to do it, would be

1:remove sump plug and drain the oil,
2:refit the sump plug
3:remove and replace the oil filter
4:fill engine with approx 90% capacity of oil, ie if it takes 8 quarts, put atleast 7 in.
5:start the engine and hold at a fast idle (1500RPM) for 20 secs (fills new oil filter)
6:allow engine to idle for 30 secs
7:turn of engine
8:wait atleast 2 - 3 mins, THEN check oil level on dipstick, if more required top up to full mark allowing 10-20 secs for each bit you add to drain into the sump, when the level is correct
9:refit oil cap and dipstick, job done

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 07-11-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
4:fill engine with approx 90% capacity of oil, ie if it takes 8 quarts, put atleast 7 in.
Great information Street Wolf and Urban. DII takes in 6 quarts of oil? You said 8?

Old 07-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Torancis_LR
Great information Street Wolf and Urban. DII takes in 6 quarts of oil? You said 8?

Did not mean to mislead you, it was purely an example, if the car takes 6 then add 5 to 5/12 MAX at first, then follow the other steps.

You dont really want to add the max capacity at the first fill BEFORE running it as the oil filter will need filling up etc etc and you wont get a true level,

its better to under fill first, run the engine and top up to max, rather than overfill..

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 07-11-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Two other items, before replacing the drain plug, remove the oil ring and put it back on the drain plug upside down so it won't leak. Also before installing the filter oil the seal then fill the filter with as much oil as you can before reinstalling it so you won't start the engine with a dry start.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
Pardon ? ..............never check engine oil level with it running, it will never be correct, the dipstick purely measures the depth in the sump and to get a true reading, the oil needs to be in there, not flowing around the engine.

its always better to drain engine oil when its still warm (not hot), as it flows down into the sump and out better.

Correct way to do it, would be

1:remove sump plug and drain the oil,
2:refit the sump plug
3:remove and replace the oil filter
5:start the engine and hold at a fast idle (1500RPM) for 20 secs (fills new oil filter)
6:allow engine to idle for 30 secs
7:turn of engine
8:wait atleast 2 - 3 mins, THEN check oil level on dipstick, if more required top up to full mark allowing 10-20 secs for each bit you add to drain into the sump, when the level is correct
9:refit oil cap and dipstick, job done
Whoops, lapse of thought. Side effect of doing something else while typing.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you fill the oil filter with oil.. realize that the oil you put in the filter is part of the total sum of oil you should be putting in the system... Fill the oil filter about 3/4 full, that way you can tilt it over to thread it back on without spilling oil all over the place.

Make sure the old O-Ring comes off with the old oil filter.

Place some used engine oil on the O-Ring of the New Oil Filter.. this will help it to seat properly.

Tighten new oil filter as tight as you can get it with your Bare Hands.. Do Not use a wrench of any kind, you will have a hell of a time getting it off next time.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats nice about the K&N oil filter is it has a hex shaped thing at the bottom that you can easily wrench off of if its on there tight, dont have to fiddle with a filter wrench

Old 07-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A pair of channel locks like these will come in handy getting your old oil filter off

Quick Reply: How do you change engine oil?