Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you change engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead
if it takes 8 quarts, put in at least 7 quarts.
Why are you guys saying this?!

It tells you in the owners manual EXACTLY how much to put into the engine. If my nissan 1.6 liter engine barely takes 5 qts then I should put in 4?! Then I am leaving out 20% of the oil that is suppose to be in the engine!!

Always fill the engine with how much the manual tells you. The manual is made for morons no need to double guess it or "try" and out think it.

Once again, if you have a stock size filter put in a little over 6 quarts. If you have the larger filter put in a little less than 6.5 quarts.

Last edited by Jupiter Rover; 07-12-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
I'm not sure if the 2004 is different from the 2003 but on my '03 Disco there is a plastic panel under the engine with a small removable round plate that you must remove to take out the oil filter and to reinstall one. You just twist it with the finger holes and it comes out. The issue come in when you use the longer 3001 K&N filter because that panel will keep you from using the filter as the panel is too close to the oil filter area. You can remove the panel and ditch it, which some people have suggested. I chose to mark where the filter needed to be, removed the panel and using an electric jig saw cut a hole in the panel so the oil filter can extend pass it and then reinstalled the panel.

Be forewarned that no matter how hard you try to be neat and tidy, some of that nasty old oil will spill on you as you maneuver the filter through that hole in the panel under the engine. I wear rubber gloves and use one of those big oil reservoirs to catch the oil and I still get some on me or the driveway and have plenty of rags handy. Just be glad it isn't a diesel as that oil looks like coal tar and is damn hard to wash off!
Chris you are right, there is a round plate under the engine. Now I hope its not tight to twist with the finger holes.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Rover
WTF. Put in 6 quarts at least.

Oil isn't being held anywhere in the engine. It is all in the sump/filter. You drained that out. There is Maybe 1/2-3/4 qt of oil in the engine after you drain it. The whole point of draining hot/warm oil is to get all of it out.

From RAVE
Engine - V8 with oil cooler:
⇒ Engine oil and filter change 6.6 qt
⇒ Engine oil refill from dry 7.4 qt
Engine - V8 without oil cooler:
⇒ Engine oil and filter change 6.1 qt
⇒ Engine oil refill from dry 6.9 qt

You are going to blow or severely shorten the life of the engine only putting in 5 quarts. Are you using a larger oil filter? a M1-301 or K&N 3001? If so then put 6.3-6.5 quarts in!
Just dont overfill the friggin thing..
Put most of the oil in and then top it up until it reads right on the dipstick.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Officially I've done my own engine oil change! Its not that hard of a job It was fun to get down and dirty.

Thanks for everyone's contribution to make this possible.

To Chrisinhouston, the 6 inch K&N oil filter fit just fine, no need fabrication on the plastic cover under the engine.

Slowly but surely knocking out Disco Mike's 60k service.

Yippeee!!!!!

Old 07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats soon you be wondering what the big deal is about auto work. For me first it was the oil change, then transmission and gear oil, then I had a bad hub, and then my head gaskets went. Get the Rave CD (link in my signature) and it all (well most jobs) become a matter of reading and following directions.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:47 PM
4th Gear
Default proper wrench to remove sump drain plug - '03 Disco

just followed this thread through and decided that if he can do it...well, a tow can't cost more than $200... my subject line says it all - i'm gathering supplies and equipment for my first oil change and the only thing that remains unclear is the correct wrench to remove the sump drain plug... any assistance greatly appreciated...

Old 07-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco_Stu
just followed this thread through and decided that if he can do it...well, a tow can't cost more than $200... my subject line says it all - i'm gathering supplies and equipment for my first oil change and the only thing that remains unclear is the correct wrench to remove the sump drain plug... any assistance greatly appreciated...
Its better to use a ratchet wrench than a conventional wrench. If I can recall, its 15metric.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Drifting

The Disco 2 has a 5/8" six point nut, so you can use any wrench or socket that fits that. The Disco 1 has a 1 1/16" six point nut (or 27mmm), which is also the size of the lug nuts on that vehicle. If you're worried about stripping the bolt, just put your wrench on it and tap the wrench with a hammer. The impact of the hammer will break the bolt loose rather than twisting the edges off. After it is loosened it usually can be removed by hand.

The D2 will drain nicely straight down, and then the oil filter will leak all over the plastic splash guard in the front. The D1 shoots out to the left side and then falls straight down, so careful with the catch pan.

Last edited by smokeyrabbit; 07-26-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

When changing the oil on a DI if you run both passenger side wheels up on ramps not only will the oil drain straight down into your drain pan you can also grease all of your u-joints and slip joints as well as check the fluid in both diffs and the t-case.

Here is how I change my oil, remove drain plug, let the oil drain while I grease the drive shafts and check the gear lubes.
Remove oil filter.
Replace oil filter.
Replace drain plug.
Dump in 7 quarts of oil.
Pour used oil into empty container.
Clean up and take care of tools.
Start truck.
Check for leaks.
Park truck.
Shut it off.
Take care of ramps.
No need to check the oil level, I dumped in what it tells me in the owners manual and it was not leaking and I know what I dumped in because I have 7 empty oil bottles laying on the garage floor so why do I need to check it?

Old 03-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by smokeyrabbit
The Disco 2 has a 5/8" six point nut, so you can use any wrench or socket that fits that. The Disco 1 has a 1 1/16" six point nut (or 27mmm), which is also the size of the lug nuts on that vehicle. If you're worried about stripping the bolt, just put your wrench on it and tap the wrench with a hammer. The impact of the hammer will break the bolt loose rather than twisting the edges off. After it is loosened it usually can be removed by hand.

The D2 will drain nicely straight down, and then the oil filter will leak all over the plastic splash guard in the front. The D1 shoots out to the left side and then falls straight down, so careful with the catch pan.
Sorry to renew an ancient thread but i tried a 1 1/6" wrench and it wouldn't fit... is this in fact the correct size for a D1?

Quick Reply: How do you change engine oil?