Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove SAI tube from block?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you remove SAI tube from block?

I'm pulling the motor out of my '03. It will be replaced with an '04.

As I tried to unbolt the driver's side air tube from the block, the tube turned with the nut (instead of the nut spinning on its own) and kinked the air tube at the flex joint. Before I prepare the '04 motor for installation, I need to remove the sai valves....but I don't want to damage the tubes like I did on the other motor. Anyone have experience with this? I assume these get removed during HG replacement, so I know a LOT of you guys have done it.

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan H
I'm pulling the motor out of my '03. It will be replaced with an '04.

As I tried to unbolt the driver's side air tube from the block, the tube turned with the nut (instead of the nut spinning on its own) and kinked the air tube at the flex joint. Before I prepare the '04 motor for installation, I need to remove the sai valves....but I don't want to damage the tubes like I did on the other motor. Anyone have experience with this? I assume these get removed during HG replacement, so I know a LOT of you guys have done it.

Thanks,
Bryan
I just took mine off last week when I replaced my valve cover gaskets. Did you loosen both nuts and then take it off, or did you take one nut completely off at a time?
When I tried taking one completely off at a time and I had the same problem, so i had to screw the unbolted one back in a little bit to loosen the other one up.

Putting them back on is more fun yet....

Old 07-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Rock Crawling

Well, I only tried one. As soon as I started turning the driver's side, front tube nut, the tube was turning with it.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan H
Well, I only tried one. As soon as I started turning the driver's side, front tube nut, the tube was turning with it.
Humm....I didn't have that problem. I'm curious to know if anyone else on here has had that problem with their SAI.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling

np. I appreciate the input. Who knows, maybe the '04 motor won't do it.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, I removed both on the Pass and drivers side to inspect how carboned up the ports were when tring to solve a bad idle about 1 year ago. I would use WD-40 or Deep Creep the night before and spray it 5 times. Mine still twisted a little, but let up as the large brass nut turned. The SAI pipe on the driver's side did not fair so well and I crinkled it. I don't know of any good way to do it other than penetrating oil. Maybe hold the pipe with a cresent wrench and a towel.

I have some spares for sale from an 04 engine with only 37k if it goes bad for you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT

http://stores.ebay.com/Mountain-Bike...r-Parts?_rdc=1

Old 07-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default yes..

yes, take the heads off with the adapters or you will be buying new ones and they are not cheap. I just tore my motor down this week and got the heads off with the pipes attached. when there off you can get 2 wrenches in there so you dont screw them up. The problem lies with the adapter in the head. Mine where loose as some Fu$ck wad did not retap and get "New" adapters and seal them in correctly..i had no problem getting the heads off with them attached. heck my fan is still atached...yea...lazy... mine is a 04 DII