Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix leaking air bags for $5

Old 12-20-2009, 10:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to fix leaking air bags for $5

Please keep in mind this is only a temporary fix at best...but it has worked fine for me so far so I figured I would share it. Both my bags had slight leaks in the folded areas. Used soapy water to identify. Nothing major, but it would be a bother sometimes, especially when the bags would go down and the sensors would not pick it up--pretty rough ride. I'd have to disconnect battery, or bounce on back of car.

Anyway, here is the info from a comment I added on another post:

"BUT...if it gets worse, I might have a solution...

I was about to change my bags or go with springs as I currently have worse leaks. No one is going to like this, but I am planning on injecting via air tube access some Lucas power steering stop leak into my air bags this weekend. They only occasionally leak, and it is isolated to the skin area that folds down. So, this weekend I am going to put in about 4 oz. each with a smidgeon of shoe goo or fixaflat goo mixed in. The idea is that each time the car sits down, the super thick non-splattering snot -like sealer stuff will gently coat the inner portion of the bags. Hopefully it will swell up/ heal the brittle skin. Kind of like the old trick where you spray down a tire's seal with antifreeze when mounting in negative 20+.

I just figured I'd throw this out. If it works, legions of DII owners with leaking bags will thank me for yet another $5 fix to a $1000 dealer fix / $300 DIY. The danger is that if ANY gets sucked up into the air pump it will FRY."

Taking the bags out took me about 45 minutes, plus treating the bags and reinstalling was like another hour. Here is how I did it:

loosen tire nuts
jack up axles
jack up tires
remove tires
remove bags (there are better instructions elswhere already posted)
clean units
using a medicine syringe, I put in 50 cc (3 ounces?) of Lucas power steering stop leak into each one through the air tube hole. Try not to make a mess. Nothing else, as i did not want anything that could damage the rubber.
carefully clean the hole with q-tip to get all fluid out.
I lay both horizontally so the fluid would pool on side. Every 10 minutes I gave a 1/4 turn on each, basically making the fluid slowly coat main body's inner area.
stood them up and reinstalled in deflated position
Allowed to sit several hours
got in car and drove a bit so car inf\
lated to normal postition
allowed to sit overnight
next day inflated to off road hieght, and allowed to sit for a bit.

I have not had any problems since them. As I mentioned, I am hoping the regenerative propereties will "heal" a bit the old rubber. So far so good. I have not seen any "wet" areas leaking through yet but I do expect it eventually.

Please make sure you a. do not have an elctrical / sensor / ecu problem. and b. the leaks are not more severe. Of course, you can always just change the bags or go with springs.

If anyone wants to tell me I madfe a huge goof and they are going to explode I am all ears. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:11 PM
4wd Low
Default Update - Month after

Well, not a single person has asked me, but...Car is perfect. Air bags only started losing air once when car was packed to the gills for camping trip with gear on roof and 7 passagers. The fluid did ooze out a bit for the several weeks. Never enough to drip, after a while cleared up and no issues.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would green slime that fixes flats work?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:17 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard of people using it with some success.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:32 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anybody else that's tried this with success? My pump is running almost non stop now, so it probably wont last long. Might be a month or so before I can order a lift kit...lasik surgery put a $2,600 dent in my bank account.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

That is a huge mistake. If after using some sealant your system airs down , as they will when getting in and out, the air and sealant will flow back thru the lines and into the solenoids at which point you are now also looking for a new SLS pump assembly also.

Where did you come up with using Lucas in your system, it is not designed to stop internal air leaks but stop internal hydralic leaks with a confined system not external leaks.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:37 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not trying to make this too complicated since I'm just looking for a temp fix but what about some kind of inline liquid/air separator?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 AM
4wd Low
Default Conversion to springs is waste of money...

I am the original guy that put in the Lucas -- it slowly was forced out over time. i replaced with about 6 oz of SLIME as per the suggestion above. The slime does what it is designed to do -- it immediately blocks up the leaks and conditions the material.

Regarding Disco Mikes suggestion that it will get sucked back up into the system -- no way. The slime is very thick, and the puddled slime is about 8-10 inches from the intake. Just make sure there is no remaining slime in the plug hole when you pu the lines back in. After I put in the slime there was a green spot for about a two days then NOTHING. CLEAN. I just carrried 16 5-gallon buckets of paint plus two passegngers this weekend for an hour over bumps, and NOTHING.

And, if you are already going to ditch the system for springs, who cares if the SLS burns out?

So if anyone wants to spend the extra $300 for the kit, it is a pretty simple swap out otherwise, just put in the slime.

Kent

Old 09-03-2018, 11:49 AM
4wd Low
Default Update after 10 years!

I keep seeing people driving around with deflated bags, disco 2’s, LR3s, Other suv’s,, pretty funny. The $5 green slime fix has outlasted the head gasket, which I redid 2 years ago along all the plugs etc. Car now has 259000 miles, and was a daily driver up until kid off to college. But last week for the first time one side deflated overnight! It did refill upon driving. So there you have it: green slime fix lasted about 100,000. I could of course just recharge for another $5 and 30 minutes, but I have a new shiny 2006 LR3 that was dealer serviced her whole life. Regrettably, it might be time to let the disco out to pasture.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:13 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I just replace mine with new ones as 400 miles on the bump stops is hard on the derrière!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to fix leaking air bags for $5