Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How good are LR dealerships?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good are LR dealerships?

Next week I plan on taking my vehicle to the local Land Rover dealership to identify any existing mechanical problems it may have.

After speaking to the service departement they recommended their "pre-purchase inspection," a 200 something point inspection that supposedly covers the whole vehicle.

How good are these inspections really? Will they be able to find any existing mechanical problems? Will they be able to determine if the vehicle has a small leak in a seal or gasket, such as the head gasket?

I don't mind paying for an inspection as long as it can give me peace of mind that mechanical problems don't (or do) exist.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many Opinions

Your going to hear alot from everyone here on the site...from what I have read most are going to tell you landrover dealerships (or Stealerships) are the worst. Find an independent mechanic to take a look at it.

I bought my 03 at auction, and I took it to the dealer for a similar inspection. They identified some problems, most of them cosmetic and then tried to charge me and and a leg to fix them (800 for a new CD player, 900 to drop and reseal the oil pan, etc...).

Its just my opinion but if you have a local shop that can take a look I would take it there. If you don't then make sure you go in understanding what you are getting into. For me this site and the people on it are the best source of info out there...you'll find that they have been through every tick, knock, buzz, crack and bang that you will ever run into owning these trucks.

Just post what you hear or see and it will get some kind of diagnosis.

Good Luck...and welcome to LR ownership

Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Stay away from dealerships as much as possible. My truck was under warranty and in a dealership for an oil change -- the service advisor told me I needed new brake pads and rotors ($900-1,200). Little did she know, I had that service performed during the last scheduled maintenance interval. Apparently that dealerships record keeping was as bad as the service. I bet they hadn't even looked at my brakes.

Let us know where you're located and the forum will tell you where to go.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:46 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are very good at emptying your wallet.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

if you are not very mechanical, i would try and find an indie LR mechanic near you to do an inspection of your vehicle. might as well start building that relationship now or learn how to start wrenching or you LR ownership experience will be an expensive one.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a "few" good dealers out there. Just do some research on your dealer and see what you find. I've only been to mine a few times (alignment and to reprogram the SLABS) While it was there he did a complimenatry 27 point inspection and listed the problems they found. He went over them with me and their cost to fix each one but said I could save myself a lot of money if I did it myself. (He knows about my engine rebuild)
I would say do Mike's 60k service. You'll know everything is current and you might find any potential problems.

Eric

Old 01-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A Land Rover is no different than any other SUV, they all have a engine, transmission and axles.
Just find a good indie shop and let them do a inspection.
The only thing you need the dealer for is certain computer stuff, they have the $10,000 computer to do the programming that may be needed.

As for how good are the dealers?
Mine is very good.
But all dealerships are franchises, just Like Burger King or McDonalds so your results may vary.