Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long would you be comfortable letting your truck Idle

Old 06-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long would you be comfortable letting your truck Idle

Ok I went to Arkansas to go camping this weekend, and let me tell you..

IT WAS HOT

I have removed the rear seats in my Disco to make tool hauling easier and I also made a MDF insert that goes where your feet would be if you were sitting in the back seat so that it extends the flat cargo section all the way up to the backs of the back seats. This allows us to sleep in the back of the truck.

Anyhow it was HOT and Humid, so we started the truck up and blasted the
A/C for a few minutes to cool the cab down and then would turn the truck off and try to get some sleep, I had to do this about once an hour just to make it bearable. Now all the cars Ive ever owned have been POS so I have never considered doing this, but the Disco has been pretty good to me.

Would anyone consider letting their Truck idle with the A/C going and hood up for an extended period of time?? When they were sleeping even??

I dont believe I could ever bring myself to do this fearing that I would wake up to a cloud of steam dissapating and the sound of internals beating against each other, but it did cross my mind.. And yes I did consider the possiblillity of Carbom Monoxide poisoning as well..

Old 06-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The only thing that I would worry about is the carbon monoxide, other than that I would do it.
Before we got the Volvo the truck would get 45-60 mins of idle time with the a/c on every day for 5 days a weeks waiting to pick the kids up from school.
I have slept in the back seat of my truck for 2 hours after driving for 2.5 and left the engine running that whole time.
I have also slept in the back seat of my 2001 Montero for 8 hours and left it running all night, it was late fall and I needed the heat, and the cool things is that half way through the night I had turned the heater all the way to cold but still got heat from all the heat being sucked into the vents from under the hood.
As long as your cooling system is in tip top shape then dont worry about it.
How in the hell did people live before a/c anyway?

Old 06-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
How in the hell did people live before a/c anyway?
LOL.. You know.. maybe I am just getting Fat and Old, but I lived for years with no A/C, none of my cars had it, I lived in an apt here in OKC with no A/C for 2 years, lived out of a 71 Holden station wagon in Northern Australia with no A/C.... and even now, I am a carpenter so most of the time I'm working in houses that dont have the A/C on, but when Im done with work, it takes an Act of Congress to get my fat *** out of this chair and into the heat!!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by llPANCHOll
it takes an Act of Congress to get my fat *** out of this chair and into the heat!!
I am the same way, when I am at work I have the a/c in my van cranking all day long.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Why not get a 12v oscillating fan? Then you don't have to worry about CO poisoning at all.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Rock Crawling

I would pop my hood to help reduce heat build up. Rver hoods get hot!

Old 06-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Why not get a 12v oscillating fan? Then you don't have to worry about CO poisoning at all.
Dude, sometimes even fans aren't enough.

When I was stranded in Texas in August of 2006, I idled my '95 Aerostar van for almost 24 hours straight with the AC on. I watched the temp gauge like a hawk and it never got above normal. One of the best cars I ever had.