Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to mount D ring shackles on stock rear bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 08:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to mount D ring shackles on stock rear bumper?

Has anyone ever done this before? I think it would be nice to have some good recovery points in the rear. I was thinking drilling through the plastic cover and somehow mount them to the reinforcement part.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Do not do that. If you want to have a recovery point on the rear you need to attach it to the chassis at the minimum. Ideally a hitch mounted shackle adapter.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:07 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Freedom38
Has anyone ever done this before? I think it would be nice to have some good recovery points in the rear. I was thinking drilling through the plastic cover and somehow mount them to the reinforcement part.
The "reinforcement part" is just more plastic.

Get one of these:

SHACKLE MNT 2" RECEIVER w/HITCH PIN, RNA1022 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

It will fit in your tow hitch.

The following users liked this post:
Racer X (07-09-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

I have always just planned to do as pictured in the case of a recovery from the rear; one end of my tree strap inserted in the receiver with a hitch pin holding it in place and the other end connected via shackle to another vehicle.. Or some variation on the theme. Is this a bad idea?

Attached Thumbnails How to mount D ring shackles on stock rear bumper?-image-4108487827.jpg  
Old 07-08-2015, 11:12 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
I have always just planned to do as pictured in the case of a recovery from the rear; one end of my tree strap inserted in the receiver with a hitch pin holding it in place and the other end connected via shackle to another vehicle.. Or some variation on the theme. Is this a bad idea?
Well, have you ever tried to remove a bent hitch pin? It's not particularly easy.
And you don't want to use a non-elastic strap (which a tree strap is) in that kind of recovery.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Maybe you can weld a jeep bumper on with angle iron.

The following users liked this post:
fishEH (07-10-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 12:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftonthefly1
maybe you can weld a jeep bumper on with angle iron. :d
shots fired.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
The "reinforcement part" is just more plastic.

Get one of these:

SHACKLE MNT 2" RECEIVER w/HITCH PIN, RNA1022 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

It will fit in your tow hitch.
This.

Even the ****ty Harbor Freight version (that I own, don't judge me...) is a better bet than D rings in the stock bumper.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Well, have you ever tried to remove a bent hitch pin? It's not particularly easy.
And you don't want to use a non-elastic strap (which a tree strap is) in that kind of recovery.
Okay, fair point re: the hitch pin. Would the largest possible diameter Grade 8 bolt holding the loop of a proper kinetic recovery strap be okay? Not surprisingly I'm not keen to drop $50 on a shackle mount if a $3 Grade 8 bolt will serve the same purpose with no compromise of performance.

But back to the hitch pin; why would we be concerned it will bend with a strap attached to it and not be concerned about it bending if holding a shackle mount? I expect the answer is that the load is distributed across the full width of the receiver with the shackle mount but may be more concentrated with a strap. Is that correct?

Old 07-09-2015, 09:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by mln01
Okay, fair point re: the hitch pin. Would the largest possible diameter Grade 8 bolt holding the loop of a proper kinetic recovery strap be okay?
No, that will bend too.

Seriously man, if you half *** this, you're going to break ****. And if $50 isn't your speed, $10 should be.

D-Ring Receiver Hitch

Quick Reply: How to mount D ring shackles on stock rear bumper?