Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much "binding" is normal on sharp turn/parking

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much "binding" is normal on sharp turn/parking

OK, So I have owned a couple RR's but this is my first Disco. I bought it super cheap as it needed a trans and front prop shaft (2 guesses as to why hahaa). Well, my question is how much binding is normal? My father's full time 4wd Jeep Grand Cherokee can sharply turn into parking spaces without the tires barking but this Disco doesn't seem to like the sharp turns.

Just to let you know. I have been driving it for a month now with no issues at all (except I can't get the rear door/tailgate open, not stuck handles..guessing bum actuator). Also, 4wd low works just fine. I am averaging about 16mpg. 3 amigos are on. Center Diff Lock light is on as well...tried doing the quarter turn on the 10mm CDL lock to lock out the front but never could get it to work, or turn the light off for that matter.

Any ideas?

Old 05-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ummm....your tires are backing because your CDL is on. You really ought to sort that out before driving it anymore (on dry tarmac) or expensive times are on their way.

Sounds like more than your tailgate is stuck.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try to unlock it then reverse a short distance to "unwind" the transfercase and the light should go out.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Winching

yeah get that CDL unlocked and you should be good to go. The nipple needs to turn counter clock wise. That might turn off your 3 amigos also. If we are lucky.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If it's really wound up you may have to drive it on a loose surface, or jack up one wheel to release the tension.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Drifting

i locked out my cdl when i was waiting for my driveshaft to come in and i had all those lights as well.

they all went away once the new shaft was in and the 10mm was clicked back.

(ps. it was way easier to unlock/find the cdl with the shaft out still..might not be helpful now, but a suggestion)

Old 05-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Overlanding

Thank you all for the information but I am a little confused. My 00 Disco is full time 4wd and 4wd High and Low seem to function as they should. Doesn't locking the CDL just lock out the front diff? Maybe I am confused. My transfer case just happens to have the CDL bolt on top but it is not hooked up to anything. I just want to know how much binding is normal with full time 4wd.

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

what were telling you is NO binding is normal. Unless the problem is being caused by the type of tire you have on it.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bothomasmusic
Thank you all for the information but I am a little confused. My 00 Disco is full time 4wd and 4wd High and Low seem to function as they should. Doesn't locking the CDL just lock out the front diff? Maybe I am confused. My transfer case just happens to have the CDL bolt on top but it is not hooked up to anything. I just want to know how much binding is normal with full time 4wd.

Thanks!

Again, NO BINDING IS NORMAL. Your truck is NOT full time 4 wheel drive until you unlock the CDL. This has NOTHING to do with whether you are in high or low range.

With the CDL locked, it is "part time 4 wheel drive", to be used only on loose ground. What you are doing is just the same as driving around in a 4 wheel drive pickup with the front hubs locked and in 4 wheel high. If you keep driving like that without unlocking the CDL you _WILL_ break things, just the same as you will break things running around in a pickup in 4 wheel high. The binding is your big hint that you are putting stress on the driveline.

With the CDL unlocked, the transfer case can send the appropriate amount of power to the fron and read axles (rather than a straight 50/50 split) and it will no longer bind. Please do yourself a favor and do some research on full time versus part time 4 wheel drive and what a center differential is.

Last edited by DarylJ; 05-24-2011 at 12:51 PM.