Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much coolant loss is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a constant coolant leak and it was the timing cover gasket. Replaced the water pump thinking it was that and it still was leaking. After removing everything and more again I found out it is just a gasket.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I topped it off and we'll see what happens. I'll have my local LR mechanic perform a pressure test. He's gonna do an oil change for me and drop the pan to take a peek in the belly of the beast, as well as to power wash and remove any pasty oil or gunk sitting on the bottom of the pan. I'll also have him check all the coolant hoses.

t-stat temps are running about high 180s since the t-stat change. However, temps does travel to 200 and the highest to 202 while on long idles. I've airbleed the system to no end back in October when I replaced the t-stat, so can't imagine I have any more air in the system.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

General Answer, any coolant loss is bad because a minor coolant loss can turn into a big coolant loss. Possible Reasons for coolant loss is vas and below are a few that Discoverys are known for.

. Water pump failure, the water pump has two bearings, if the bearing seals fail, you will have a leak. If the inter bearing fails, which it usually does first, you will get leaking out the weeping hole of the pump. If the outer bearing seal fails, you will see a lot of water very quickly. The water pump can all leak from the gasket. Repair is to replace water pump.

- hose connections - any hose connection can leak

- Throttle Body Heater Gasket - Very common, you will see coolant on top of driver side valve cover.

-Radiator - Plastic radiator parts, high potential for a leak.

- Head Gasket - water jackets start leaking usually near Piston 1,2,8 and 7 leaking fluid near those points. at the heads,

-cracked res. bottle or cap.

Their are a few other points, but my guess, would be one of these points.