Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much sludge in oil pan is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 09:57 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default How much sludge in oil pan is too much?

During my in-process bottom-end and front-end overhaul, I realized the most time-consuming process is cleaning 20 years of oily dirt and internal varnish from the pan and timing cover. However I was shocked to find 1.3 inches of thick sludge in the lower-most point of the oil pan. The pan had been removed to change the gasket 3 years earlier (according to the service receipt) and I would have assumed the tech would have at least scooped out all of the slop. They did leave the "AllMakes 4x4" gasket label in the oil pan which obstructed 2/3 of my oil suction screen. So I suppose my question is, has anyone ever seem such a massive amount of sludge when you've dropped your pan and removed the windage tray? Would you expect this after 20 years and 154k miles on a Rover V8? Or am I just being reactionary? My big-end bearing shells all were showing copper when I removed them, maybe the paper label obstructing the oil pickup was a factor there? I've since totally degreased and scrubbed out the pan and timing cover, I wish I had some photos to share of the before situation. 154k miles, no other internal engine work done on this engine before this, besides the pan gasket.

Rhys Legge

Old 04-13-2020, 03:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

No. I never had that much sludge in the oil pan on my past Disco 1 V8, Disco 2 Td5 or now on my current Disco 2 V8.
Sorry dude but that sounds like a very neglected engine.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 04-13-2020 at 03:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 12:44 PM
4wd Low
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have just done the exact same thing, a front engine renovate including the timing gears, chain, oil pump, and dropped my pan. I thought mine was bad with about 1/2 inch of sludge at 147k miles. Wow over an inch; that's crazy.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:09 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

I dropped my pan and did the front cover last summer. No sludge at all at just over 120k miles.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:10 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by rhyslegge
During my in-process bottom-end and front-end overhaul, I realized the most time-consuming process is cleaning 20 years of oily dirt and internal varnish from the pan and timing cover. However I was shocked to find 1.3 inches of thick sludge in the lower-most point of the oil pan. The pan had been removed to change the gasket 3 years earlier (according to the service receipt) and I would have assumed the tech would have at least scooped out all of the slop. They did leave the "AllMakes 4x4" gasket label in the oil pan which obstructed 2/3 of my oil suction screen. So I suppose my question is, has anyone ever seem such a massive amount of sludge when you've dropped your pan and removed the windage tray? Would you expect this after 20 years and 154k miles on a Rover V8? Or am I just being reactionary? My big-end bearing shells all were showing copper when I removed them, maybe the paper label obstructing the oil pickup was a factor there? I've since totally degreased and scrubbed out the pan and timing cover, I wish I had some photos to share of the before situation. 154k miles, no other internal engine work done on this engine before this, besides the pan gasket.

Rhys Legge

what is the history of this engine ? Have you had it long

Old 04-13-2020, 02:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

takes a long time to accumulate that much sludge. I'm sure the shop did not clean it out, they even left the label on the gasket/in the pan for you...shoddy lazy work...wonder how much wear that caused your engine....

Old 04-13-2020, 08:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Sludge is one of the byproducts of the combustion gases in the crankcase, one of the reasons for the invention of the PCV valve. Sounds like your engine rarely or never had the breather baffle cleaned, and oil changes were very extended.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I've honestly NEVER pulled a single oil pan from a LR V8 and have found sludge. I've found a nut in the pan (97 RR Vitesse) which was from the pickup tube support mount. But sludge nope, I guess all the LR's I've owned were treated to regular oil changes.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

I dropped my pan at 177k and there was minimal sludge, if any, on the inside. The outside however was a total PITA to clean. More so on the block but gravity did her part and the pan was pretty gross. Now it looks like I flubbed the crucifix seals or the RMS because she drips where the trans meets the block. More likely the crucifix seals since I didn't use the Bearmach. Gaaah, back down it comes. Someday...

Old 04-14-2020, 09:00 AM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for all the insight guys, I guess mine was treated to Jiffy lube oil and 10000+ mile changes. Everything is cleaned up now, the bearings have been changed, all orings and gaskets are in with a bit of Hylosil/Hylomar, and will do the 100 mile oil dump and see what happens. I'm going to let this be a cautionary tale to all friends who think regular oil changes are folly.

Quick Reply: How much sludge in oil pan is too much?